The Ursula C. Schwerin Library, New York City College of Technology, CUNY, seeks a tenure-track library faculty member at the Instructor or Assistant Professor rank to serve as Instruction and Reference Librarian. The successful candidate will work with colleagues to develop and offer information literacy and library instruction, including collaborative efforts with faculty in all disciplines. The Instruction and Reference Librarian will also offer reference service and be responsible for designated areas of collection development. All members of the library faculty must maintain a record of excellence in librarianship, scholarly achievement, and service. The Ursula C. Schwerin Library is committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply.
The Instruction and Reference Librarian will:
- Offer instruction
to students and faculty in information literacy, including library
services/research resources and discipline-specific presentations for programs,
courses, or assignments. Instruction may be in-person or online, and may
include collaboration on subject-specific research resources.
- Provide comprehensive reference consultation to
members of the college community in person and online. Develop and maintain
knowledge of resources in general reference areas and degree fields.
- Work as subject specialist in assigned areas to
evaluate, select, and deselect library materials. Responsibilities include
website content creation in areas of specialization and consultation with
subject faculty regarding resources and services, including information
literacy and instruction.
other duties as assigned.
- Master’s in Library and Information Science (MLS/MLIS) or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution
- A second master’s degree OR doctorate is required for appointment as Assistant Professor; if appointed as Instructor, the candidate will be expected to complete an additional graduate degree within 5 years (CUNY tuition remission is available)
- Experience providing instruction or reference within a diverse community
- An interest in scholarship or creative achievement appropriate for a tenure-track position
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and strong analytical, organizational, and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership qualities, a commitment to collaboration and mutual respect, and the ability to work efficiently and effectively on shared projects and committees in our multicultural library and college/university community
- Experience working in an academic or research library
- Background, experience, or degree in STEM fields, especially health sciences or engineering technologies
- Knowledge of best practices in educational technologies and instructional design
- Familiarity with current trends in scholarly communication, including open access publishing and open educational resources
- Familiarity with assessment practices in libraries and higher education
New York City College of Technology (City Tech), City University of New York, is the largest public baccalaureate college of technology in the Northeast. The college awards both associate and baccalaureate degrees that allow graduates to pursue careers in the computing and engineering technologies, health professions, human services, hospitality, and other professional and technical fields. Our college community includes over 17,000 students from 145 countries, and most are the first in their family to attend college.
City Tech’s Ursula C. Schwerin Library is integral to the educational mission of the college, and fosters connections with and supports students, faculty, and staff in their academic pursuits. Library faculty and staff are committed to student success as we implement and acquire those services and resources that will have the greatest positive impact on the diverse City Tech community. As members of an academic department in the college, library faculty at City Tech and CUNY are represented by the Professional Staff Congress union (http://psc-cuny.org).
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates should provide a cover letter, CV, statement of scholarly interests, and contact information for three references as one document.
Visit https://www.cuny.edu to apply: https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu/psp/cnyepprd/GUEST/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=20121&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with review of applications to begin 30 days after posting.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.