Reaction to documentary film “My Brooklyn”

The documentary film under the name “My Brooklyn” by Kelly Anderson helped me to learn the history of Brooklyn and how it was developed through centuries. It was very interesting and sad to find out that Brooklyn was zoned into categories: A – excellent, B – very good, C – caution, D – declining areas. During the Great Depression White people simply moved out from declining areas to suburbs, when areas of safe categories were populated already. Whereas, Black and Hispanic people had no choice but move to these declining areas. Surprisingly, they cleaned up the areas, created communities and opened small businesses. Later on, White people realized that, in fact, these areas are good for investments and started to build high-rise buildings with luxury and expensive condos in order to attract families with high-income. Unfortunately, the city government didn’t take into consideration that these low-income families spend most of their lives in Brooklyn and have become attached to that area. Therefore, economic development corporation started increasing lease significantly and small business had no choice but to relocate or close down. As for residents, they had to move out of their apartments or even worse they were evicted. That’s how gentrification process started. I believe that compromise could have been found of how to rebuild Brooklyn and fair living circumstances could have been provided for the people that used to live in Brooklyn during hard times for the city in the 1930s and gradually maintained and developed it. For instance, better jobs and opportunities to improve and expand their businesses could have been arranged for these low-income families, so they could transform into middle-class families and Brooklyn would thrive.