My Brooklyn | Blog 3

“My Brooklyn” by Kelly Anderson was able to connect to me  because these changes happened right before my eyes. The film was able to display the changes and gentrification of Brooklyn. Most people don’t realize that Brooklyn is a highly diverse mix of people and cultures. And the film highlighted the changes in the Fulton street area and how different people coexisted there whether it was people who lives around the area or people who came to the businesses there. How the people of these community lives are changed by the shift in opinions of the community.

The new shift of community gentrification moving out people there purely for monetization and personal profit. The idea that adding new high rise buildings and businesses into the community would be beneficial. However the people who have done business there or lived there for most of their lives think otherwise. I believe the issue becomes that the city does have good intentions of bringing wealth and investment into the city however once it is said and done. Any good terms and agreements of affordability and compensation is never given. Driving out businesses who cannot  pay the rent not to mention many of those high rise buildings would be way too expensive for many to live in. The city has completely neglected to ensure that these developers would involve the community with their decisions. Instead allowing them to completely drive out the community. As many didn’t have a chance to voice their opinions or thoughts. Issue isn’t the developers it is the people who sought such high rise buildings if there is no demand there would be no need to supply. Maybe if people who knew what these buildings did to other people maybe they wouldn’t move into these new developments. Until then more communities are at risk like Anderson stated even her new neighborhood is not safe from gentrification.