Blog #2

What city walking experiences do you have in common with the writer? What in your experience is different from what he wrote about? What do you think of the power of serendipity to “expose our commonalities,” as he puts it?

One of the cities walking experience I have in common with the writer is taking the express bus from Staten Island to Union Square Park and walking around there. I’m living in Staten Island which is very peace and tranquility, also a nice neighborhood. It is not as crowded as the city. In contrast, it always noises and traffic around Union Square Park. I see a lot of people quickly walking to work without interacting with each other. However, I still can see people walking their dogs, communicating with each other, and getting distracted by music. Moreover, it isn’t uncommon to see people involved in chess and street performances. I do agree with Cadogan that the power of serendipity to “expose our commonalities”. I believe that everyone has different life experiences, but we do have a lot of similarities that we should share.