Today we discussed alternative print and electronic media. Important issues raised in discussion included the challenges of distribution of alternative print and online media, the potential for censorship of online media, and the wide range of topics that zine authors address in their zines.
On Tuesday, February 19 we will discuss Web 2.0, Web 3.0 participatory media, and big data. Please read the following:
- Web 2.0 entry in Wikipedia
- Baker, The Charms of Wikipedia
- Lohr, The Age of Big Data
- Tufte, Visual and Statistical Thinking (pp.5-15 only)
- Also watch the Common Craft social media video
Remember that on Thursday, February 21 the class will meet in the library’s multimedia screening room to watch the film Rip! A Remix Manifesto. The film is 86 minutes long, so please plan to be on time!
Slides from today are available here.