Something Old Something New

As I was reading chapter two of Badke, I realized a very frighting thing. Some of the information that Badke was conveying was new to me. I’ve written more then a few research papers both in high school and in college and, I truly hope i’m alone when I say, I’ve never argued a point or answered a question. I wasn’t taught that way and I didn’t do it that way. I clearly remember gathering massive amounts of information (pre-internet era mind you) making notes, categorizing, organizing, then finally writing… the exact same thing that I had just spent weeks reading, categorizing and organizing. (In may own words of course) The “data as a tool” method seems far more intriguing and educational.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Something Old Something New

1. ragoo8111 says:

I sense a couple generation gaps in your blog and I am with you on this one . What scares me the most is the amount of data out there to sift through. I now know that the more material to draw from, then the more creative the questioning for research papers will become. Is it not important for your professor to be on the same page as you when grading your paper? This was not the case here as is contradicted by this response to a brilliant proposal by a then Yale student. “The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a ‘C’, the idea must be feasible.”
    – A Yale University management professor, in response to student Fred Smith’s paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service (Smith went on to found Federal Express). So reaserch to me is evolving I just have to be savvy enough to keep up and hope somewhere in those algorythms lie the epiffany that will get me my market share. But for now an A or B+.

2. ajimenez630 says:

I completely agree with the poster, these days the information that is needed for certain cannot be obtained by normal means.An english professor might want an article from a doctor who skilled in a profession for 7 years.You can’t ask on the street for that and you can’t ask your doctor for this information because they are more worried at treating their patients.Without the internet the students of our era would not be able to make credible works , granted before the internet students had great thesis and dissertation but ask yourself- that last paper that required articles you submitted to your professor of any class could you have done it without use of the internet?

3. ibn4course says:

True no one person has the skills of researching like Badke’s information. We have the understanding that we criticize are reading through judgement of an author’s theme. And using his topics is crucial. Although the change of research from high school to college was fearful it was kind of a blow-off not knowing what to do on my own, and if citation was needed than I’d mess the project up searching for related topics. Never questioning myself about the author’s writing to change my own essay into a peace or argument related to the thing most relative to evolve.