Database Searching with Keywords and Hierarchies

Ever since I learned to punch keys on a computer, I always wondered how things were created to be read electronically. Taking programming class really gave me a better view on the binary language. In Chapter 3 of Badke’s novel, he states how a man named George Boole ended up coming up with some formula for computers to be able to read. If it wasn’t for George, Tim Berners-Lee wouldn’t have had the succes he has to expand the World Wide Web. It takes time to create a formula for a bunch of keys just to be recognized on screen. Using arithmetic for an entire system must’ve taken time and dedication just for the entire world to be able to communicate today. I find it interseting with changing the english language into symbols such as “OR” is “||” and “AND” is “&&”. Not many people know of the database searching and how it works, but all I know is that computers will end up having a mind of its own, at the rate its evolving.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Database Searching with Keywords and Hierarchies

1. Anne Leonard says:

What do you think it will take for search engines to become more intelligent? That is, how will they will interpret our preferences, provide the context for the keywords we input (even if we don’t), and deliver results that are actually satisfactory and fulfill our information needs, rather than return a list of sites that simply contain our keywords somewhere in the document text and are somewhat like sites we’ve clicked on in the past? ~Prof. L.