Is Online Privacy Really Private?

We all know that online privacy has a large gray area of what’s usually seen and what’s not. And we all know too well that our online privacy isn’t really private because anyone with the right programs and technological skills to operate them, will be able to see what you’re seeing. Even now, government monitors what people are doing on their computers whether it’s late at night or early in the morning. The government feels they have to in order to keep certain information safe and to be able to act on possibly planned crisis in the future. Patrick Marshall explains this information of government early on in his essay, Online Privacy: Do Americans Need Better Protection?

Another group that monitors people’s history and privacy are the advertising companies because they want to get an idea of your interests and hobbies. They intrude on your information so that they can try to advertise and sell you products that you may like or want.

This makes me wonder, who else is looking at my privacy and monitoring what I do on my home computer or laptop?

This entry was posted in Assignments and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Is Online Privacy Really Private?

1. Liza says:

Your blog entry actually made me think of “Enemy of the State” with Will Smith and Gene Hackman. Back then, people thought that surveillance was limited to “bugging” places with hidden cameras or microphones. But now, people don’t even realize that they could be monitored by the government by simply having a computer with an Internet connection.

2. I totally agree, to the hands of our Internet Service Providers(ISP) the government can monitor and track everything we do over the internet, may it be browsing, surfing, or just checking the news and the weather for tomorrow. It really does make one think whether Online Privacy really is “Private”. With sites such as Facebook the government will have easy access to our daily life, it would be easier to monitor and track everything we do on concentrated sites such as social sites and the like.

3. Guzman Kiara says:

Privacy is never a sure thing once you submit any type if information about yourself on the web. Basically of you look at it you are obligated to put information about yourself on the web because once you have entered it you have no option but to press the agree button in order to have access to anything. But no one really thinks about their privacy exposure because they are just interested about having access to whatever is out there and new today to be like everyone else. Your information can be taken and be used by anyone for many things that you will never be aware of because you will never be told.