Wikipedia and Social Networking

Let’s face it: we’ve all gone to Wikipedia to search for a subject of interest at some point in our lives. It’s easy to access from any computer with an Internet connection and people who are knowledgeable in certain topics are able to add what they know, thanks to Wikipedia being an encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

I’ll admit: I’ve looked up some things of interest on Wikipedia and while there’s certainly a lot of information to absorb (I’m beginning to miss the days when encyclopedias were just general and brief about the topics they covered), I have to remind myself to take all the information I absorb with a grain of salt, since anyone can change the entries in Wikipedia, even if the information seems valid.

In the old days, keeping in touch with friends and finding a job were limited to Classified Ads, whom you knew, phone calls, texts, letters, and/or e-mail.  Now, social networking has made it possible for people to communicate with each other and potential employers at a much quicker rate than before. But with many things, social networking has a double-edged nature: people who aren’t technology-savvy can reveal too much of themselves to employers and friends, making damage control very difficult to do.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.