Blogs & Wikis Common Crafts

The World Wide Web has many forms of communications and ways to let certain information out for the public to view, but one form, in my opinion, should be used differently. Wikis are not so big in spreading out to the public. Wikis are more towards slowing a self-knowledge information to be written. A posted wiki can only be seen by those interested in the post, whereas, a blog is a much more spreaded post and attracts the view for most viewers no matter the subject. While blogs state the opinion of the poster, wikis allow the reader to add more knowledge from someone else perspective.
Even though the public has a right to speak freely, gatekeepers trend to decide whether a published post is worth published or not. Most people have to publish what they feel like writing with the limit of there language and way of expressing themselves in blogs. With wikis, gatekeepers themselves can be the editor without having to really say anything to anyone. Blogging is a form of expressing ones opinions, but bloggers have to keep in mind that gatekeepers want a juicy post to be able to have a fine profit out of it.
Any form of wiki has an advantage and a disadvantage. Advantage being that knowledge is spread to more people without having to tell one individual at a time, but a disadvantage is the time frame in which that piece of knowledge is spread. Whether wiki or blogging is a good source for readings or not, I personally believe that if I would have to express myself to the public, it would have to be through blogging only because my opinion is entitled to be read and not rephrased.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Blogs & Wikis Common Crafts

1. I completely agree! I enjoyed reading this, and hearing more of others people’s ideas on the wiki topic. Is it true that an advantage of wiki could be spreading information around the world without having to physically communicate with the other, so that’s why it’s simple and somewhat easy to use wiki. It would probably be a whole lot better if it weren’t opened for the public to use so freely, meaning that it should be a private blog that has restrictions on the people would want to change the wording based on a bias opinion.

2. ragoo8111 says:

Interesting . However if I may add, the two applications were deisgned to fullfil different purposes . Blogging for personal opinions on a topic or event. And Wikkies for group input . Imagine a decade ago if as a class we had to produce a case study on immigrant dispersal on arriving to the US. And had two weeks in which to reserch and present . Participants were selected from campuses all over NYC. Can you for see the magnitude of such an undertaking , meaning the participants would have to coordinate a series of meetings to plan and bring this production to completion. This would amass subway fare and countless telephone conversations and emails. A headache of incredible proportion. Wikki on the other hand would be like if you permit me . A relay race, everyone puts in their effort and its over that easily. Also if I stumble the rest of my crew is there to pull me up. That my friends is the editing , then it is passed back to me. So maybe in a night or two we can pull of this production off, cutting and pasting as we go along . All the while putting this piece together . we are not limited to schools in the CUNY realm but can include institutes worldwide and distance is no longer a factor of impedement. So my friends technology is a product of man’s constant desire to lighten his work load and retiring into the luxury of becoming a couch potato. this is my Blog……