Discussion # 6

The Triborough bridge is a structure I’m not exposed to as much majorly since I’m a Brooklyn resident and never felt the need to traverse any of its pathways. However, I do feel it’s a significant moment in engineering for the city. Having three of its boroughs connected and lessening travel times from one to another is a major accomplishment. I can envision the analogy that Robert Moses had when he said, “This will be an artery of the city.” It really accomplishes that reference from its physical construction to the flow of pedestrians and cars.

The bridge may also play a key component in the progress of the nation and city as it recuperated from the Great Depression.

Now, I’m sure MTA has control of this toll bridge as it does with all the other bridges in NYC and they persistently keep raising toll prices as if it weren’t difficult enough for the average New Yorker. I understand the concept of repaying in taxes and toll fees but the MTA has been known to be an agency that only seeks more profit without providing proper service.

One thought on “Discussion # 6”

1. Mike, nice post. One interesting thing I’d add: when Moses ran the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority (before the MTA took it over) he used it as a cash cow to fund his many projects.