Teaching Methodologies

I utilize high-impact practices in my courses, such as collaborative assignments and projects which were  direct outcomes of my work as a faculty fellow in the Fourth Year TitleV Grant: A Living Laboratory: Revitalizing General Education for a 21st Century College of Technology.   Specific methodological tools that I have consistently used in my courses include collaborative and individual projects, site visits, guest lectures, case studies, and  structured group discussions.  I strongly believe in the value of experiential learning that provides students an opportunity to have an active role in their education.   Introducing service learning into my courses combines academic instruction, meaningful service, and critical reflective thinking . To me, teaching effectively means helping students to learn inside as well as outside the classroom. To that end, I continue to review the department’s internship course to enhance the field based “experiential learning” and to build relationships with hospitality business partners that would provide learning and job opportunities for our hospitality students.