Syllabi and Assignments

1. Course Syllabi

2. Assignments

HM 101

Dine In Brooklyn

The Assignment:

The first year hospitality management students were each assigned a participating restaurant to research using the internet, dining guides, and local newspapers.  Many students conducted personal interviews with managers, chefs and/or owners to complete the project.    In the second phase of the assignment they delivered tip tray cards to the individual restaurants after arranging a mutual drop-off time.

• 93 Restaurants
  • 80 Student (some students did two restaurants for extra credit)
  • Thursday April 15 thru Thursday April 22 2004

Challenges for them:

• To gather information on many local restaurants who do not have websites or articles written about the property.
  • Finding and delivering tip tray cards (post cards) to restaurants in neighborhoods that many of them had never been to.  (Many students did not live in Brooklyn)

Learning opportunities:

• Learned about Brooklyn Tourism and the impact on the  local economy
  • Entered the Brooklyn restaurant community and were welcomed with enthusiasm.
  • For many this was the first time they were involved in a community event and have a greater understanding of the culture of the Hospitality Department and NYC College of Technology
  • Understood the importance of their role in delivering the postcards in a timely manner to allow restaurateurs the opportunity to  promote the Dine In Brooklyn event
  • Many of them participated by dining out at their restaurant during that week
  • Two of the students worked(volunteered) directly in the Borough President’s office to assist with follow-up calls and organize PR information

Student Feedback:

Deborah White   (Loulou Restaurant)

“After living in Brooklyn all my life, I never thought I would see the day there would be a quaint French restaurant in Fort Greene.  I have never visited France, but in seeing television shows and movies filmed there, I can say that Loulou has a feeling that you are sitting in a local, well-loved restaurant.”