Community Services

Colgate Bright Smile, Bright future- Greater New York Dental Meeting, 2015

image2 (1)

Every year during the GNYDM, Colgate brings together a program for oral health education, prevention and dental screening with more than 1,300 third and fourth graders public school children. I had the opportunity to work with my classmates on the oral screening sections. Our job consisted in conducting a survey, while screening for ECC, plaque index, and documenting our findings along with filling out a referral for the parents to bring to the Dentist a their next visit. this was done in more than 350 children that came from Public school in the community within a four hour period.

I personally enjoyed the experience. There was a happy atmosphere and the children were very curious about our work. We even had a rabbit who kept entertaining the children! IMG_6048

Fluoride Treatment  2016

This time me and another 2 students visited a second grade classroom from a public school in our community. Our goal was to provide oral hygiene instructions and dental awareness for this population. To accomplish this we prepared a PowerPoint presentation, a didactic video and question games to teach children about caries risk, brushing method and nutritional counseling.

image2 (2)image1 (1)

Head Start 2016

293 Neptune Avenue

image3 (1)

Head Start was established in 1965 to improve the school readiness of children ages 3 to 5 from families with low incomes. In 1994, Early Head Start was established to serve pregnant women, and infants and children from birth to age 3, from families with low incomes. Early Head Start focuses on positive birth outcomes for women, and on healthy physical and cognitive development for infants and young children. Both Early Head Start and Head Start provide comprehensive education and health services in the context of family and community.

Every year NYCCTECH dental hygiene students are part of this program, and for our group it was held at a Public school in Brooklyn.  We applied Fluoride Varnish, Survey and fill out referrals for ECC, or other relevant findings.

CityTech Wellness Fair

Presenting my research project about Oral Cancer Screening and the use of new technology as an adjunct. At this event I prepared brochures and a presentation to inform visitors about this subject.

FullSizeRender (4)

Greater New York Dental Meeting, 2014

FullSizeRender (2)