I enjoyed the three readings because it made me realize how a lot of what we do as designers is “born” into us. We need instruction from the academic curriculum, but No matter who we are, there is a simultaneous physical, spiritual, and intellectual function that we naturally integrate into design.

According to Gropius, all work is manifestations of our innermost selves. I enjoyed the reference to how our brain is a mathematical space in forms of numbers and dimensions (whereas I am not mathematical – but can learn to use grids) and how the hands master through the crafts, tools and machinery. I relate it to muscle memory, using an application repediatily or even typing on a keyboard. I think he means form to space, as concept to reality, or the negative space on a page.

The concept of theory being used as a recipe is a great analogy because the individual elements combined form the idea of Unity. Although I was a bit confused when they said art wants to triumph over nature, I thought they kinda go hand in hand.

With tech today I sometimes take art for granted how art comes in many forms. The typophoto contributed to graphic design because it represented the importance of both the type and the photo image. There was a balance of information and play. There are multiple ways of communicating but what stood out was the confidence Moholy-Nagy had in typography, “the typophoto governs the new visual literature”. I agree because type has its own voice and partnered with the correct copy you can tell an engaging, informative or emotional story.

Herbert Beyer agrees with Moholy-Nagy, the idea that typographic material uses distinctive optical properties of its own. The black and white values reminded me of negative space and the breathable room around type and imagery. And as much as it was fun to read small horizontal sentences, it would not work for longer text