Anthony Delbrun – April 28th

When something is mainstream, it means it is gaining a lot of views to the point where everyone is doing it. The particular something is very popular that people are making big businesses out of that particular something. Sadly, that particular something out grows the popularity and it does not become mainstream anymore. Things that are not mainstream anymore becomes underground, meaning it is not trending but it is still popular and is possible to make something out of it. Something that is underground can potentially become mainstream if it is appropriate to the public’s eye. 

When it comes down to contemporary design, being mainstream means that a product will most likely be re-invented in a unique way or help inspire other designers to design something similar of the mainstream product. An example would be rapper Snoop Doggy Dogg when he started evolving as a rapper under the tutelage of Dr. Dre and how his persona changed over the years.  

The part where Steven Heller talks about copyright I kind of understand what he was saying. Copyright means protecting a person’s work. This means whatever content the person created cannot be used or published by anyone else without the consent of the originator. When it comes down to copyright, a lot of stuff on mainstream have a better chance of being recognized easier. The possibility of something being stolen is at a much lower risk, however it can still get an imitation. 

Source(s):

Biography.com: https://www.biography.com/musician/snoop-dogg 

Theknow.denverpost.com: https://theknow.denverpost.com/2012/03/02/snoop-dogg-fillmore-denver/46410/ 

FromTheStage.com: https://fromthestage.net/snoop-dogg-involved-in-a-serious-fight-with-wwe-superstar-in-a-rare-video/ 

Author: Anthony D

My name is Anthony Delbrun. I got my name from the biblical Saint of Padua Anthony. I was born on April 26th, 1999 at Kings County Hospital at approximately 5:27pm. I lived in Brooklyn, NY, USA for all my life but as for my parents they were born in Haiti. I come from a Haiti background but I barely speak the language. As a young boy growing in East Flatbush, I was a shy boy who didn't speak up for myself until the age of 7. What made me enroll in the Communication Design field is my passion for videogames and drawing. While growing I never really had a career decided for myself. The fact that there were so many jobs out there to my liking I couldn't choose. First I wanted to work at a pizzeria since I love to eat pizza. Second, I wanted to be a scientist because I wanted to make a time machine and take a blast from the past. Now we ALL know that's not possible. Lastly, I made up a fantasy career of becoming a “Bus-Driver-Crasher” meaning I'd drive a bus and crash into many objects and people. That had to be one of the dumbest ideas for a career ever! But since I was a little boy at that time I made it up, that's fine. It wasn't until my cousin from my dad's side who introduced me to videogames and drawing. From there on I experienced a passion for them, thus motivated me to become a Graphic Designer in videogames. Plus I wanted some excitement in my life. My skills are average but I’m still learning some techniques here and there so they will be useful in this field. A tagline to remember me is this: “Hard-work beats natural talent!” Also, I have an addiction to Japanese Anime! Look at my profile picture for example.