Rana Abdelnaby Assignment for October 21

From the reading of Tschichold, Gerstner, and Müller-Brockmann, I learned that a good layout design constitutes a creative, appealing, and user interface aspects. It occurs that a design of a layout can be asymmetrical or symmetrical according to the purpose outlined for its use. Also, a designer should have intelligent in expressing a message most shortly and efficiently, functional, objective, and aesthetic quality (Müller-Brockmann 63). I understand the emphasis and scaling makes the layout design to hold the subject of interest to be communicated, such as placing in large icon than others.

Moreover, I gained the knowledge that the balance of the grid is essential in the page as it juggles different element in finding the harmony in their design. According to Gerstner, “the typography grid is a system that is used to regulate the composition and proportionality of pictures with tables to accommodate” the desired designs (61). Thus, I noticed that white space or negative space is an element that gives the eye the path through the designed layout. Therefore, my aspect of this design provides a balance on the positive and negative space to emerge initially.

Finally, I agree with Tschichold that each part of a text is in relation to other sections in a layout through a logical and definite connection of value and emphasis that is predetermined by content (37). Hence, it is the work of the designer or typographer to choose the expression such that the size and contour of the pictures would match perfectly with the weight and colors used. I feel that the asymmetry liveliness expression is a symbol of an evolving form of movement taking place to the diversity of unlimited variation in typography. Therefore, a layout should have the power to create a high expression to the audience, but it should be modified to fit the intended audience.