Photoville – Lourdes Barahona

Photoville is FREE outdoor photo exhibition that takes place in the Brooklyn Bridge Park. This year marks the 7th anniversary of the event – in which over 600 artists and 90 exhibitions were showcased. Apart from the photo exhibition, the event also features free panel talks and hand-on workshops for its visitors.

I found it peculiar (in the best way) to see how the exhibitions were mounted in freight cars. Some artists decided to decorate the inside their own way and even add music to give a better vibe to their work. One thing that I found important to highlight about the event is the diversity it presented and its overall topic of immigration and societies undergoing change. All of the artists in Photoville came from different backgrounds and countries around the world. There were men and women, young and old alike, and it was a beautiful thing to see all the different stories told through their lens.

One of the photos that has been stuck with me for a while is this one taken by John Moore from Getty Images. The picture shows a Honduran toddler crying as her mother is searched and detained near the US and Mexico border. Ever since Moore released this picture it has been used in many newspapers and magazines — including the cover of TIME magazine. I am Honduran and also an immigrant, so I am flooded by sadness thinking about the struggle many go through to reach this country because I KNOW why they migrate. I have experienced it myself. The image successfully depicts the pain and uncertainty kids specially go through during these situation as they’re being separated from their parents and how cruel this journey can be.

Overall Photoville was an encounter with many emotions – as I found myself through many of the stories told by those pictures. Civil war, immigration, femininity, coming of age, among others. It was a wonderful experience that I will surely follow through the years to come.