Starting An Internship: #1

Hello! I’m Kiyana. I am a multi-disciplinary designer focused on art direction, strategy, and motion/video.

The start of my internship journey began by applying to multiple internship openings on LinkedIn. The process was very easy and quick. After going through many interviews and applications, I landed at an in-culture public relations firm, in the creative department. The agency works with brands such as Bud-Light, Coca-Cola Company, Anheuser-Busch, and more. They provide a creative route to execute ideas that earn attention and business impact. Since it’s a PR firm, all of the campaigns the creative team works on focus heavily on “earned media.” Before starting my internship I’d never heard of the term “earned media” and it took me a while to understand what it meant. Earned media is the media awareness and promotions a brand gains from a campaign project (usually through press or word of mouth). I started in the position of an Art Direction intern where I help with producing campaigns from conception to completion, brainstorm ideas, create mockups, designs, and more.

As this is my first internship, I’ve had many doubts and expectations for how the internship would go. I had reservations about how I would be able to handle the work because I was the only design intern on the team. When I first talked to my manager he explained that I would be working in a team alongside a copywriting intern. In this team, we would be able to check in with each other and help each other with tasks and projects given to us. ““““““““““““““““““““““““I was relieved knowing that I was able to share ideas and get feedback from another internship without feeling pressured or nervous.