Networking Events 1 Blog: 

Name of Event: The Education(s) of An Artist

Host of the Events:

Division of Continuing Education, SVA

Keren Moscovitch is the hoster of the event with very different  artists from SVA

I’m in awe when I saw 75 different people willing to come and see the exhibition event I thought it was going to be less than that, but turns out I was wrong. There was Q&A and as I was more paying attention to the exhibition, I did not have the luxury and time to connect with the attendee regarding questions and answer at the moment of the event.

The type of event is a presentation exhibition events for different artists starting from Lisa Di Nato, who is a photographer who is showing her work;  the topic she is covering is the work she had done with covering xerographic images and photos and how her work is shown and the process behind her creative approach to the photos. She explains how some of the photos were used and edited to make a distinction. I learned that there are more than just pictures to explain and it shows from her description of the meaning behind each of her photos.

Yam Chew is also a photographer who had visited his hometown in Singapore and made different pieces of art. The topic while not straightforward it seems that most of his works were a tribute to his parents and family and how that push his work into a singular theme of abstraction and values. His interest in painting and abstraction and had photography, He had a painting up for exhibition as well. He explains the past of his father and his passing and how the passing of his father has let his work flourish stronger. He had done many different works ranging from many different physical abstract works.

Next up for Arantxa Rodriguez an artist from Mexican City,  Also a great neighbor colleague with Yam Chew ( what a surprise  ! )  The topic for this work is using culture for her work which other people in her group seems to say is “Latin American” she took that approach of Latin American art and create an interesting piece that transfer to more of her more creative arts, from what I see it seems to beautiful patterns which I will post below.  The interesting thing I learned is that she works for ArtsNYC and she has worked with kids in school to create a big project.

From that this is all the 3 artists that have been showing for their works.  The lesson for them is rather than being taught by someone else, it’s better if you teach yourself as you learn what you can do for yourself creatively.  The teacher is the one helping you push in that direction. The topic covers in each artist are unique as you can see that Lisa keeps her creative thought and push that in her Xerographic work, Yam Chew using family loss and his interest in abstraction to further his work, and Arantxa with her culture and moving up her pattern design to greater heights.  I learn that each artist uses different materials but keeps a distinct style for themselves. The education of an artist is a lot more stretch out than I thought rather just I’m just an artist and that’s it. Even as a designer these distinct styles that these artists try to put themself into are very crucial to creating a very distinct work that is your own.  Rather than just take huge inspiration, it’s good to find your uniqueness.

My take? I like the events and learn a lot of new things, unfortunately, there was no breakout room or some interactive side-event in there; however as this is one of my first networking events remotely, I am surprised at what I had found in there and hope other networking events are also like these.