Week 8

Wednesday 10/18-17- After struggling to obtain an internship for several weeks I got a lead from a friend that a non-profit organization was looking for interns to help them out. This was the half-way point of the semester, so if I couldn’t get this one, I would be forced to drop the class. After building up the courage to make the phone call, I was told to call back in a bit. This is usually a sign that they want no interest and my heart sank but I called back hoping for the best and whatever I was hoping for happened.

Over the phone, I was speaking with the coordinator named Lisa. She explained what exactly the organization was, what they do, and their history and to her credit, it was kinda interesting to hear. They are the Women’s Press Collective (WPC) an independent press that voice the concerns of the community and other important things going on that is often overlooked in mainstream media. I was on board with this, not only because it was my last and only option but I was curious to see how an organization can stay independent and have an impact. I was scheduled for orientation on Saturday October 21st at 10:30.

Saturday 10-21-17- I arrive at the location just in time, I would of been there much earlier if I didn’t spend over 20 minutes circling the location trying to find their door. Regardless, I made it in and I was greeted by Lisa and was asked to fill in some information and then we headed to the conference room along with a few others for a more detailed version of their history and what they do.  Afterwords, there was a tour around their office. Most interesting thing from the tour were the old printing presses. Supposedly these mechanical fossils were from the 50’s and 60’s, and considering these people have been around for over 30 years, they must be reliable (and incredibly heavy.)

After that there was free lunch that was donated to us by a nearby restaurant which was the highlight of this day. Containers of food packed with chicken, soup, spaghetti, and some of the greatest mashed potatoes I have tasted.  Lastly, we concluded the day with a staff meeting where we discussed upcoming events and whatever is on the agenda. The most prominent one being a film screening they called “War in the Newsroom”, where they want to discuss the ongoing issues regarding journalism. They want to have people phoning contacts they have collected and invite them to the event which seems pretty self explanatory. I was just worried that I had to be the one doing it. It took me a good 10 minutes to calm myself and sound professional when I called Lisa. I cant imagine myself doing that.