Beechers

Beechers is a Seattle-based cheese company with a large, impressive outpost just a few blocks north of Union Square.  The main feature of the store is a giant, glassed-in cheese making facility (they make their cheese on site) where you can see the whole process.  They offer tastes of their cheese.  It’s pretty good, in a cheddar cheese sort of way.  The store also has a cafeteria type counter with all sorts of cheesy foods including a very good mac and cheese.  Downstairs there’s a full-service restaurant.  The store also sells a wide range of American-only artisanal cheeses.  Though the variety is pretty good, they don’t seem to give these cheeses quite the love  more obsessive cheese stores like Bedford Cheese or Murray’s give their cheeses.

Beechers Handmade Cheese
900 Broadway (at 20th St)
Manhattan
www.beechershandmadecheese.com
212 466-3340

1 thought on “Beechers

1. Cei Kar Ng Wu

At Beechers, I got to experience visually for the first time the way cheese is made. I did not know that a place like this existed in NYC. When I think about the origins of cheese; the only thing that come to my mind is farmers. I never knew that I could experience and see how cheese is made in the city. We only spent around 10 minutes at Beechers, I did not get the chance to explore the restaurant but from what I saw it looks like a nice place to hang out with friends.
    Here you can experience mostly everything with cheese: see how it is made through the glass, buy cheese from the counter, taste cheeses and also dine. I am just wondering if they do wine paring with the cheeses they handmade inside; that would be interesting.