Chelsea Reaction Blog

Hello everyone its Alison, on March 31 I got to visit the Chelsea Market with my class mates.  It was my second time in the Chelsea neighborhood, but this visit was more active and hands on.

Around 9:10AM, our class enters Dicksons Farmstand Meats, to my surprise the store did not reek of uncomfortable meet smell.  The meat they carry was beef, pork, lamb and chicken but to my surprise there was a wide variety of products from different kinds of cut raw meat to seasoned ready to eat meat.

Then at 9:30AM Professor Krondl sends the class on a scavenger hunt in groups of two.  My partner Rachel and I went to The Lobster Place, they had frozen food, ready to cook and ready to eat food.  Not only did they have different types of local fish and local shell fish they also have imported ones.  It was interesting for me to learn about bottarga, which were dried egg sack from female of fish.

In the Chelsea Market Basket there were so many things I never heard of and saw before.  For vegetables it was purple carrots, French carrots, baby yellow carrots, baby white carrots, purple ninja radish and rhubarb.  For fruits it was kiwiberry, palmito, and goldenberry.  I enjoyed this field trip, I thought it was fun and interesting that we got to explore, look, and learn about things we don’t know about and then share our thoughts and information with the class.

Dicksons Farmstand Meats

The Lobster Place

Chelsea Market Basket

Spices and Tease