Professional Essay

Kemar Johnson

Professional essay

September 25, 2012

HUS 1207

My name is Kemar Johnson and I am here to tell you a little bit about me so take some time drink some juice and enjoy this autobiography. So here I am born November 2, 1992. I am coming all the way from Spanish town, Saint Catherine, Jamaica. W.I. Currently residing in The Bronx New York basically my whole life. I attend college at New York City College of Technology pursing a bachelor degree in human service. I am an inspiring athlete in the wonderful sport of track and field as a sprinter since Jamaican people don’t run distance races. In four years I plan on running in the 2016 Rio Olympics for an unknown country. I am criticized highly about this decision constantly hearing “why don’t you run for where you come from?” and “run for USA since you currently live here” I honestly want to run for a country that isn’t on the map of track and field, run a great time and become a national hero for that country hopefully I am a resident of that country. As for right now I am full time athlete for Central Park Track Club, part time worker at Super Runner Shop, full time student at City Tech, part time boyfriend that will switch over to be a full time fiancé and the oldest sibling in my house now so I’m balancing a lot here but it’s all going to be worth it soon.

It’s actually interesting how I got into this field of pursing to be a HUS worker besides helping people which is the typical answer most people say. I actually got into this profession by accident, my original study was computer engineering but finding out how math is heavily involved steered me away just because I struggle in math I’m lucky to pull out a B+ in math 1275 only because I had an awesome math professor that I constantly thank. I changed my major from computer engineering to liberal arts but in some weird unfortunate way it actually switched over to human service and I could have sworn the two was the same. I realized that it wasn’t and liberal art is a very broad field. I might say I am lazy to switch majors again or maybe I just don’t know where I would like to be even though I should since this is my 3rd year in college. I’m in this field because I want to shape people lives the way it should be; I want everyone to have a good life. I want to save our adolescent from the troubles and dangers I almost succumbed to. I want to be a lot of people superhero with the only super power I have is to run really fast. So my main reason is to prevent the wrong things to happen to have the same kids I help out turn around and give me competition instead of being engulfed in the violence and the streets.

Since I’m in this HUS field you have to have some basic strength that will enhance your effectiveness for this professional practice. Starting with my culture it’s quite uncommon to have a Jamaican who isn’t persistent. So when it comes to those stubborn and hard to push. Also I am all about teamwork and being a team player so for me unity is a very serious matter for me. I also have a tendency to be very observant maybe it’s extra eyes but I pick up on a lot things other people fall short of noticing so when it comes to a follow up with a client and I ask “hey how it going?” if I notice in anyway their body language or just their response to the question is different, I can slowly get into what’s bothering them.

The client population that I prefer to work with stated earlier adolescents and young adults up to the age of 22. I feel I have a lot to learn this population because as decades past the problems the youth in a sense mutate sometimes substantially for example back in the days there was bullying but like how it is today is completely different. Haven’t heard anyone kill themselves over a bully before maybe it skipped my attention but now a day you hear how serious it has gotten. The stress factors can possibly develop and be intense beyond imagination. Simply just to compare to two timelines would a very interesting factor. Also working this population would teach me the new slang they use so I’m not lost in the dark when certain things could be potentially dangerous. I mean the style and fashion would something intriguing to know about their time.

Working with this crowd will be tough mainly because I will be older so I will out of the loop and have to work a decent while to gain their trust. The only challenge I have is just earning their trust and have them openly talking. I will inform them that confidentiality is a something we take serious in our field and will only be broken if anyone life is threatened. I’ve been focusing on that human service trait with simple friends I have now and it’s not as hard as people made it to be. To help steer these kids on the right path is my goal which I will constantly inform them.

My career path from the time of graduation to five and ten years down the road isn’t an easy road. I envision myself running back and forth, literally. Within four years I expect to see myself actually running in the 2016 Olympics and as soon as it’s all wrapped up back in the states or whatever country I’m in performing my duties. I expect to see myself in a highly prestigious agency for youth as a supervisor. Moderating all employees making sure they are performing to their best effort whilst not burning themselves out. Also seeing me dealing with a very tough “patient” or “client” that one of the workers is seriously having a problem with. Using my high persistent nature should be able to crack the hard surfaced teen. I feel that if I hone and work on my persistent nature and making sure it’s not too pushy it will be something great.

This essay is about me Kemar Johnson where I envision myself in the wonderful world of HUS although I reached this major by accident, I’ve been satisfied in it ever since. Helping the youth and young adults is the crowd I’m going to reach out to. Using my persistence and team spirit I should really be able to reach out to these young people and save them from dangers out there. Being a supervisor and athlete will be tough down the road but someone has to be these kids superhero and I plan to be that guy.