Week Three

One of the next assignments we were given was creating cover art for the podcast. We were in a sense going back to what we discussed during week one- what works and what doesn’t work when it comes to cover art.

This is also a very important part of the podcast since this would be the first thing viewers see when they click to listen to the podcast of the week. This picture would be the image to represent the podcast so it’s important that the picture not only attracts the listener but also plays on what the podcast is about.

I initially had a lot of ideas when the assignment first came up. I wanted to, of course, focus on the fact that this was a podcast made by women for women. It was always important to me to depict a woman on the cover so the listener could know exactly what the podcast they would listen to was about.

Lauren Conrad: Asking for a Friend | Women Helping Women: with ...

Like many of my other designs, I wanted it to be a simple yet effective cover. With a logo still being designed, I wasn’t sure how the placement of that would be but I knew I wanted the image to resonate with the initial ideas I’ve had for the logo. In this cover art, for example, There is an image of the woman who runs the podcast with a simple white background and equally simple font choices for the text.

Women in Podcasting - Women's Podcast Directory

There was also the option of using vectors of women instead of actual photographs of women. This idea was appealing to me because I had already played with the use of a silhouette of a women in the logos I initially designed for the podcast name. I figured with the cover art, I have a bigger canvas to work with instead of being limited to a simple logo design.

In the end, I decided to use photographs instead. With notes from the supervisor and what she specifically wanted for the cover art, I think I came up with some solid ideas that can be integrated with the other interns’ ideas so we can create the perfect cover art with all our ideas combined.