Week One

Bent Not Broken is a new podcast that is expected to launch later this year. The podcast focuses on women’s issues like the Me Too movement, body image issues, infertility, etc. That was why I was personally so interested in working for this podcast. It was created by Juanita Kelly, who once said

I wanted all women to be represented in the world of fashion and in pages of magazines.

She used her experience in the fashion industry to try to reach a broader audience in podcasts. In this all woman team, it was made clear to me during the interview process that this internship would be completely remote. Using Slack, I would be connected to my supervisor and fellow interns online which I found interesting since we were all from different areas of the United States. One intern, for example, was from Tennessee.

As a way to throw ideas off of each other and build a sense of relationship, we were tasked to talk to each other following different questions given to use from our supervisor. One of the questions was regarding other podcasts. We were asked based on our design style, which of the cover arts we liked the most. I chose the following…

My Favorite Murder - Home

I chose this podcast because, not only am I familiar and a fan of the podcast, but I appreciated the fact that they went for a simple yet effective way to show what their podcast was about without giving away too much either. Any true crime fan would know that using cutouts of letters like that represents crime. The font they used to show their names was also an homage to crime.

Looking through all the different podcast cover arts gave us ideas on how we can represent the podcast with our own touch and which way to not go in regards to artwork. We also got to know the podcast world a little more getting to see all the different genres they had to offer.  I also personally saw how unique the Bent Not Broken podcast really was and grew excited to be able to build the brand from what we were learning.

So, the first week of the internship mainly focused on building relationships with my fellow interns and supervisor and getting to know this brand new company a little better.