Narrative Self- Reflection of Service Learning Project

During my clinical experience this semester I have fulfilled the nine clinical objectives as per the Clinical Evaluation Tool with regard to the Service Learning Project.

Objective 1: Demonstrates individual professionalism through personal behaviors and appearance.

I fulfilled objective 1 by doing all the behaviors expected of me. I maintained clients confidentiality. I kept the elders blood pressure readings private so other people wouldn’t see them. I assumed responsibility for my own learning by coming to clinical prepared whether it was bringing a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff or being dressed appropriately to participate in all activities. I completed assignments within designated time frame. All my blogs were posted when due. I sought guidance appropriately. When I had any questions regarding the service-learning project I would ask my clinical professor who was always readily available to help or I would ask my fellow classmates. I participated actively in clinical conferences.  As group leader I made sure everyone was doing what he or she needed to do. I helped come up with the theme for our fair by looking at the needs of the community. I attended clinical punctually and in accordance with school policy. I arrived at clinical on time and ready to work.  I dressed professionally by wearing slacks, coordinated blouse, limited jewelry, conservative shoes and neatly manicured clean nails.

Objective 2: Employ analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills when providing care to individuals and families in the community setting.

I fulfilled objective 2 to by performing all expected behaviors.  I used client interview to collect information from elders at the senior center. I did not use nursing records, staff nurses and/or other health professionals to collect client information because those weren’t available to me at the stein senior center. I assessed the impact of developmental, emotional, cultural, religious and spiritual influences on the client’s health status. At my time at Stein Senior Center I had many conversations with the elders about various things and their health. I wasn’t able to complete a full physical assessment but I did take the seniors blood pressures and assessed the medications they were on. I was able to prioritize care and apply priority setting. There were times when someone wasn’t feeling well and I would stop what I was doing to go assess that person and take his or her blood pressure. I implemented safe and appropriate nursing interventions in a timely manner. I did not administer any medications. Being at the Senior Center and seeing the elders every week I was able to evaluate outcomes. I was reflective about practice. I modified client care as indicated by evaluation outcomes by assessing the elders every week and making recommendations. I utilized principles of personal safety when working in the community setting by keeping cleanliness.

Objective 3: Effectively communicate with diverse groups and disciplines using a variety of strategies regarding the health needs of individuals

I accomplished objective 2 by fulfilling behaviors expected of me. I utilized therapeutic communication skills with individuals in the community setting.  I used silence to encourage the elders to talk, accepting to show that I am listening, gave recognition to recognize patient as an individual, offered self to let them know I was available to them, and giving information to the elders when they have asked questions.  I was able to utilize appropriate channels of communication. I communicated clearly and effectively with instructor and peers. I would communicate with my professor and classmates at clinical or I would email them. I communicated significant data to my instructor. If someone had a high blood pressure reading I would make my professor aware. I adapted communication skills to developmental needs of the client. I reported and documented assessments such as blood pressure readings on a weekly bases.

Objective 4: Establish environment conducive to learning and use a plan for learners based on evidence-based practice.

I fulfilled objective 4 by accomplishing expected behaviors. I developed and implemented a teaching plan for an adult in the community setting. Through my research of the community I found the heart health was an issue that needed to be addressed and provided the seniors with information for having a healthy heart including but not limited to having a healthy diet. I feel I established an environment conducive to learning. I made sure I made the seniors feel comfortable to ask question by providing a warm, safe and caring environment. I was able to talk with several seniors and evaluate what they have learned.

Objective 5: Utilize informational technology when managing individual and families in the community

I fulfilled objective 5 by doing expected behaviors. I utilized principles of nursing informatics in the clinical area. I maintained strict confidentiality with client’s information. I did not have access to client’s health records.

Objective 6: Demonstrate a commitment to professional development

I fulfilled objective 6 by completing all behaviors expected of me. I used appropriate current literature in planning care for clients in the community setting. I looked up information on the community and used that information to guide us in making our hearth healthy health fair. I assumed responsibility for lifelong learning. I did extensive research and gathered information that is relevant to seniors at the center. I engaged in self-evaluation through out the semester to continuously improve myself and by doing this narrative self-reflection. I am committed to adjusting to the challenges of independent practice in community health nursing.

Objective 7: Incorporate professional nursing standards and accountability into practice

I fulfilled objective 7 by achieving all behaviors expected of me. I utilized American Nurses Association Standards in clinical practice. I collected comprehensive data pertinent to the seniors at the Stein Center, analyzed the data, identified expected outcomes, developed a plan and implemented it. I complied with the agency standards of practice. I am accountable for my actions in the clinical area. I am aware of Stein Seniors Center mission; to cultivate friendly relations among the members of the Stein Senior Center and the general public; to provide services with an emphasis on group growth; to share the strengths, and wisdom of senior citizens; and referral services, and to safeguard the health and wellness of senior citizens.

Objective 8: Collaborate with clients, significant support persons and members of the health care team

I fulfilled objective 8 by completing the expected behaviors. Due to my setting I wasn’t able to collaborate with health care team members to address client problems. But with my classmates I effectively addressed the problems of the seniors that come to the center. I coordinated care based on the seniors needs and provided therapeutic interventions. I was able to identify health care resources for the seniors by letting them know services that are available to them such as the social worker at the center. I guided the seniors to make appropriate lifestyle choices. I spoke to them about diet and exercise. I assisted the seniors to make connections to other community agencies such as social services and wellness programs.

Objective 9: Recognize the impact of economic, political, social and demographic forces that affect the delivery of health care services.

I fulfilled objective 9 by accomplishing all behaviors expected of me. I recognize that there is gaps in care system; this is why we need to provide our seniors with health education and promote wellness and healthy lifestyles. In the process of doing a health fair I began to identify solutions to complex problems in the clinical area.  In providing the information the seniors I acted as a change agent in advocating to appropriate health care resources.

When I first heard that I would have to be in charge of making a health fair, I couldn’t believe it. I had so much doubt. I didn’t know that we could actually do this. I volunteered to be the team leader because the professor said that she would be here to help every step of the way. I was nervous but as the weeks went by, as we prepared for our fair I started to have more faith, I realized that we were doing this and that it would be amazing. I am so proud of all the work that I/we have done. I have learned so much. I feel that I have grown. I was able to overcome some of my weaknesses. I have seen a different aspect of nursing that I find to be very rewarding. The purpose of Community Health Nurse is to provide community health promotion services in a selected area to promote the prevention of disease, maintenance of health and the overall health and well being of the community and this is what I learned to do.