Last semester I heard the news from my friend that our department requires students to finish 120 hours internship jobs. During the winter break, I have a plan to find the internship relates to my major which is graphic design. This news disturbs my original plan because I was planning to leave out of the city for a month. My friend told me about this if we couldn’t find an internship before 3 weeks of the semester. Then the profs will ask people to drop the class. That’s why I changed my plan absolutely.

What I need to prepare for application is my resume, portfolio and cover letter. I found many of the companies don’t need a cover letter. However. I would like to prepare for it even though I don’t know how to write. Also, it is my first time to write my resume. I search from google to see some samples. As a graphic designer, the resume should have design on it. In addition, my friend taught me to upload work on issue. It’s very convenient for uploaded projects and copy the link to the resume. The next step is to reach out website for applying. First, I search graphic design internships in indeed. I would like to compare the requirements from different companies first and to see if some of them are fewer requirements because that will probably get an interview. Applying on indeed is easy when I ready my resume. I just upload a document with my resume to some of the companies which is fewer requirements. After that, I wait like a week I finally got the like 3 responses. I did not notice and think about the location before. I just fill in the location focus in New York. Unfortunately, those companies reply me for interview are close to New York but out of the city. I was considering the transportation and cause too much time to get there. I decided to give up the interview.

For that moment, I realized indeed is hard. I don’t know what other options for apply internship. I just google some key words about graphic design internship and then email to them. I couldn’t believe I got the reply, and they ask me to go interview the next day. I bring my laptop and went in the morning they set the time for me is too early and I was late. The one seen me is the marketing manager. He doesn’t a professional in graphic design he just asks me to introduce some of my project to him. I also watched some interview video on YouTube but he did not ask a general question like introduce myself. Again, I couldn’t believe is a causal interview and the next day he asks me to tell him my school schedule so that I can pick my working days. This is my founding internship experience.