Blog 11: Beyond Plastic

“Beyond Plastic” was an event to educated people on how plastic waste has affected climate change. I enjoyed the event because I got to learned so many things about plastic. I promised myself not use plastic ever, but I had a plastic straw with my latte right after. I felt so bad, I prayed for the birds who mistake bottle caps for shrimp.

At the event, there was a speaker name Judith Enuck who was a former Environmental Protection Agency administrator and was very enthusiastic. She felt that the big problem at hand was very easy to tackle, and everyone thought she was crazy. It was… Straws! I said to myself “she must be a Sagittarius, just like me”. Sagittarius are very optimistic, idealistic, and very open minded. She explained that if we demand our local stores to going straw-less, the environment would be in a better place. Also, Ms. Enuck stated that cigarettes buds were a very troublesome issue as well. Cigarette smokers just throw their buds on the ground and the buds are made out of plastic and can end up in the ocean and pollute the ocean. I very much admired her because I think she went straight to the toughest problems. She explained that cigarettes were toxic and very addictive. At the end, I believe a majority of people agreed with her.