Re-Cap on Meet The Pros

This past November, the New York City of technology college had their monthly Meet The Pro event. The event was hosted by the Art Design Club. The featured guests were creative designers and art directors in the profession, staring Andrew Berardi (art director), Chris Phillips (copywriter), Kent Thacker (program creator), Emely Perez (designer) and Mo Osunbor (art director). Each of these guests shared interesting tips on how to improve your work ethic and performance. Both Andrew Berardi and Mo Osunbor shared their work experience at J. Walter Thompson, which left a nice impression about the company on me. J. Walter Thompson is the world’s best-known marketing communications brand. Headquartered in New York, J. Walter Thompson is a global network with more than 200 offices in over 90 countries, employing over 12,000 marketing professionals.

Mo Osunbor, shared how he gets inspired as an art director. When he is not working, he’s teaching, and attending book club. During his speech, Mo explained how he believes creativity needs an enemy, just as with a negative there is a positive. According to his beliefs, it is up to the designer to dig deeper into the research and creative process to rise above the challenges.

Andrew Berard shared his past work experience. Andrew has worked in the industry for some time and has made great connections over the years. He’s worked on projects with PUMA and many other well-established brands, but PUMA was the one I found most interesting. Andrew shared some tips on how to expand your craft as a designer by giving yourself tactics and goals, and also building a friendly relationship among your employees.

This month’s “Meet The Pros” event was worth the time. It was a full house of guests that shared their creative thinking and advice, giving the audience what they wanted as young future designers, which was inspiration and guidance. I would recommend this event to anyone who is looking for growth in knowledge about working in the creative work place. It definitely helped me understand more about myself and how I would like to improve my work ethic and time management.