Hi, I’m the new guy!

My first day at the New York Uptown showroom started with an introduction to the team and the brand, learning about the craftsmanship and the different bed models they create. Savoir Beds makes completely bespoke beds, each one made by hand. They began commissioning beds for the Savoy Hotel in London in 1905. I even learned that Winston Churchill used to own a Savoir mattress after staying at the Savoy Hotel. I found their history really interesting and inspiring. I loved learning about how they began and how they got to be the international luxury company they are today.

I came on as the Graphic Design intern, where I would be helping the New York branch create printed collateral and specification sheets for their beds. I learned that a large portion of their business comes from interior designers, and they needed to create a simpler way of sharing information on each of the beds. There are four models of each bed set and three different toppers. They also have over twenty different headboard styles.

The company has a very specific brand identity that I had to learn about in order to understand the aesthetic of the graphic work I’d have to create. In the interior design and furniture industry, they use “tear sheets” or “specification sheets” to show the technical details of the product, sometimes providing the measurements and any other components. My job would be to find a way to get all of this information on a one-page PDF, to share with the designers and clients.

I was given photos and the written copy to add to these spec sheets, and had general information from the website that I could work off of as well. My first assignment for the day was to research other high-end furniture companies to get an understanding of different specification sheets and the different formats. From there I had to start gathering the information, both the written copy and the high-res photos, and started creating several layouts to work with. I was directed to start with a few headboard styles, to propose to the main office in London.

The first week at Savoir Beds was a completely different experience from my previous internships. The work environment is quiet and really relaxed. The company cares a lot about the employee’s well-being and wants for a healthy work-life balance. It’s been an exciting experience so far and I can tell that I will learn a lot about understanding company branding.