Graphic Design Principles I Course Reflection

This semester, I learned quite a lot in COMD 1100 from the instructor, the students and the class itself. When the class started, the impression that was brought into mind was this class was going to deal mainly with the usage of software programs. As the name of the class would suggest, Graphic Design Principles I, being introduced to color theory and other forms of handmade creations was not anticipated. The techniques were beneficial to the overall improvement on visual perception. This is true because before the class, I didn’t think about color theory or transparency. I didn’t think about how much an ad would cost in a magazine or how to look at things, essentially, outside of the box.

As the class went on, the class as a whole began to improve. This is evident in seeing the work of students and witnessing the overall design structure from them improve as our semester moved on. This improvement of overall quality in the students ushered in new ground for the students to display their talents on a much larger scale. We learned how to utilize markers and create perfect shapes. We learned how to make squares at the precise measurement. My first venture into the shape drawing process wasn’t what I wanted it to be. I was not successful with the placement of the square in the sheet of Bristol paper. After showing the class the project during critique, I learned a valuable lesson. When looking at a piece, the artist must display their best works and make sure the observer can read the piece. Our professor instructed the class that in the Western world, everything is read for left to right. My piece was reversed, thus making it not viewer friendly. This observation will remain with me for the remainder of my design career.

Along the way we also studied the structure of rectangles and curved shapes, such as circles and other curved shapes. Then we tackled the difficult assignment of using perspective for a project. We did this when we did the square from a three dimensional point of view. It was a daunting task to say the least. It proved to be beneficial because now I can use that skill to make three dimensional images by hand. I hope this skill will help me in making more abstract pieces using this basic structure in the future.

Soon after, we started to use our designer gouache to develop different tones of color. First we used achromatic colors, which means no color. Then we went to monochromatic colors, which means one color. With the monochromatic shapes we had to use the same color but incorporate different tones to create a well balanced harmony.

Afterwards we developed the full color project. I enjoyed doing these pieces front the start. The was feedback was positive. The best pieces were displayed in the Grace Gallery exhibition. Currently, we are beginning our Going Green final project. The students in the class have to brainstorm ideas and come up with a simple yet powerful message through the use of design. This project will let the students show a conscience and supportive mindset of the environment to support today’s needs.

The class itself was enjoyable. I learned a great deal of new and important information. I was expecting to work on the computers right away. I can say without a doubt this was a good launching pad into the world of design. Every time I get on the train or go out I see ads. I’ve seen ads before but now I see myself question how it’s made. I ask myself what process did the designers make to achieve a quality design? I’ve come to see everyday things in a new light.