Assignment 5

Jon-Anthony Montaz                                                                                     4/15/18

COMD 3503

In my previous day of topics of graphic design class, l once again enjoyed as I started reading the assigned links which were amusing. I’ve learned that there’s a difference between a designer and advertiser and I’ve also learned about the functions of different agencies and the works of a designer name Stefan Sagmeister who I was very inspired by his great work.

From reading these links in on open lab, I’ve learned so many important information. What I’ve learned so far was that an advertising agency is thought of as being a huge marketing machine that surrounds and relates to public relations, marketing activities and graphic art services. It usually assists a large staff of professional and creative personnel. The agency is normally broken into three working groups and they’re Public Relations, Marketing and Research and Creative Services. Public Relations function with the media to construct public awareness and promote a favorable image for a company or client. Through community, philanthropic and special programs and events, their efforts create goodwill among an organization’s target market. When it comes to Marketing and Research, it takes care of product growth marketing research, demographics, and performs product surveys. For Creative Services, the agency will recommend the advertising concepts and a variety of advertising options,. events or presentations, handouts, website, posters, stickers, brochures to best meet the client’s marketing goals as it was mentioned.

In addition, from reading these links, I’ve learned the difference between the two types of businesses which are designers and advertising. Designers create the value while advertising agencies sell that value. Design is still seen as a decorative art whereas advertising is a big business.

When reading more on these links that was assigned for us to read, I came across Stefan Sagmeister who is a designer and art director from Austria. Ive learned that Stefan  is currently working in New York City where he co-founded a design firm called Sagmeister & Walsh Inc. In the article, it mentioned that he has created work such as branding, graphics, and packaging for The Rolling Stones, The Talking Heads, Lou Reed, David Byrne, Jay Z, Aerosmith, Time Warner and The Guggenheim Museum, among many others. Exhibitions of Stefan’s work have been mounted in so many places around the world.

In conclusion, from reading all these links I can say that I’m really looking forward to making my skills stronger and pursuing my goals in being the designer I’m going to be.