Journey to Hospilatiy Management

I am a Hospitality Management student here at the New York City college of Technology. Having worked two years in the restaurant and hotel industry I must say that the path so far has been amazing.  At seventeen I worked my first internship at a French café called, Picnic market and café, where I worked under a brilliant head chef. A chef who showed me the beauty of taking simple dishes and elevating it to five star masterpieces.

After my internship I went into college for my hospitality degree. where my first professor, Professor Dias etched into me the key fundamentals of hospitality management. It was during this time that she said something to me that would change my life forever. “If you want to succeed in this industry, start now.” It was then that I began my search and found Horn blower cruises.

I was no stranger to boats, in fact New York harbor holds a special place in my heart which began when I attended the New York Harbor school on Governors Island. It’s funny how something as simple as a public high school could change my life. It was this place, that made me realize my potential and that I can reach for more than what lies on the surface.

See my journey here…

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/26/education/26harbor.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

There I was a freshman in college looking for that hospitality job and finding it in a small cruise ship company, new to the NY harbor. It was here that I learned the fundamentals of Banquet service, yet while obtaining a diverse new set of skills. From cooperate events to concerts Horn Blower did it all. But I wanted more.

In the beginning of this year, I embarked on a new chapter to my hospitality journey.