Reflection

Some poems, like Shakespeare’s are a little harder, they have words that are hard to understand and the way the poets words their poems makes it harder to interpret. The poems I chose have an intense tone. They use emotional appeal to show how deeply in love the poets are towards his/her audience, which is their significant other. I learned many things about my topic, some are that people have many ways to express the way they feel about their lover, and my sources chose poems to appeal to their beloved. Writing a poem to the one you love is a sweet thing to do, and shows that you care about that person enough to put words together to convey how you feel. I learned from Hemingway that when people leave you, it’s not the end of the world. Your heart will just feel an empty void until the right person comes along. I learned from patience that when you love someone and the fire between you disappears, there’s always the ash that remains and that ash is the moments/memories they have with each other. That ash that remains gives hope that that fire will spark and light again. I learned from Cumming that when you love someone, you carry their heart with you because that person is your whole world. I learned from Shakespeare that love isn’t weak, and can’t be calculated, it’s immeasurable. I learned from Tagore that he loves his beloved so much that he believes that he loved his significant other in his past life and will continue to love her in the next. I learned from Dickinson that you have never lived your life until you have loved, it is love that brings us to life. What I still want to learn about my topic is love poems truly effective? Were my sources able to fully convey how they felt to their loved ones, would a love letter be more better and clearer? Do you need to be a master of words to write a truly effective poem? 

What I learned about myself as a writer through this assignment was that before I couldn’t interpret poems, especially love poems. However, after choosing this genre, when I found the love poems I started to think of their meaning instead of just reading it, and I became a little better at interpreting them. I think as a writer, my strength is thinking of what to write right away when given a topic, this would be the brainstorming part of my writing process. I would like to be able to become better at analysis, I am terrible at explaining my evidence. I can enact this change by whenever I’m on my analysis part of my writing, I need to focus on that part more, start thinking of what my evidence really means, why the author wrote this, and how it connects to my claim.