Love Poem

Hemingway, Ernest – Empty Spaces

People all over the world have their own way of expressing their love, be it text, phone call, love letters, face to face confession, love poems. The one that really captivates me the most is love poems. Writing a poem to the one you love is a sweet thing to do, and can show that you really care about that person enough to put words together to convey how you feel. A love poem that speaks out to me is by Hemingway, Ernest “Empty Spaces”, that he wrote for the woman he loves. Hemingway writes about “the empty spaces in your heart”, when people you care about leave you, it’s not the end of the world, your heart will just be empty until the right person comes along. Hemingway most likely wrote his love poems in his home and he wrote all his love poems to the women he loves. Hemingway had four wives and wrote all of them love letters/poems to express his love. The rhetorical appeals that the author uses is pathos. I say pathos because when it comes to love, it’s based on your emotions. Especially when he says “They’ll make you think it’s wrong, like having empty spaces, means that you can never be strong”. Hemingway means that there’s enough space to grow and people who care about you will come along and fill that hole. Hemingway wants his audience which is his wife to see that the people who leave you just aren’t meant to be in your life, but he won’t and is the right person to make you feel whole again. Just like every guy, he wants the woman he has feelings for to be happy and not empty around them.

https://healingaftermyhusbandsaffair.wordpress.com/2014/08/13/this-too-shall-pass-and-you-will-be-okay-again/

Worth, Patience – Who Said Love Was Fire

Everyone has their own definition of love, whether it be an intense feeling of deep affection, pleasure, feel a romantic or sexual attachment to someone, love is fire, etc. According to Worth, Patience “Who Said Love Was Fire?”, She believes that love is ash. This might be confusing to most, but she does explain what she means by this. Patience believes “that love is ash. It is the thing which remains when the fire is spent.”, which are the moments that two people in love have/had with each other. These moments don’t suddenly disappear, they stay in your hearts forever. This poem was written more than 20 years ago and what Patience is saying makes sense to this day. Love can be fire, but what happens when that fire burns out? When that happens, do you go your separate ways and never speak to each other? No, you take those ashes, those important memories of each other and try to strengthen the bond you two have and relit the fire that you once had. This venue is a love poem which was probably written in Patience’s own home. The tone is very calm and casual. The rhetorical appeal that Patience uses is pathos because she explains how love isn’t fire which connects to everyone because we believe it is, she goes to explain how love is indeed ashes which keeps us thinking have our heart jump a beat wondering if she is correct. Patience wants her audience to see that we all have our own definitions of love, but when it comes down to it, love is the ashes that remain after the fire is burnt out and after it’s burnt out there’s always the chance that the fire can be relit.

https://hellopoetry.com/poem/75761/who-said-that-love-was-fire/

Cummings, E.E. – I Carry Your Heart With Me

When talking about love, there’s always those who believe that we carry the hearts of those we love with us, and that is true for E.E. Cummings. According to E.E. Cummings poem “I Carry Your Heart With Me”, he explains how much one can love a person. That person can be your whole world, the deep profound love of that person, the kind of love that can keep the stars apart. Cummings says, “No fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) I want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true).” This shows how much one can love their significant other, this kind of love can transcend the soul and mind. Cummings shows his deep love for his beloved. Wherever he goes he is always with his love and nothing can separate them. She is his whole universe and he can never live his life without her. Cummings even goes to say that she is the source of his living and is afraid of losing her. This poem is more than 20 years old and readers can still feel the strong love and connection he felt for his beloved. I believed that the venue of Cummings love poem is to his wife in his own home. The tone of the poem is very intense for he shows how much he loves his significant other. The rhetorical appeals Cummings uses is pathos because of the intensity of how he writes his poem, he writes about love and how it is eternal and gives him strength, how his love for his beloved cannot be measured. Cummings wants his audience to feel how he feels, that intense feeling of love, not he alone can feel that way, others too can feel the way he feels.

https://theromantic.com/poetryclassic/icarryyourheartwithme.htm

Shakespeare, William – Sonnet 116

Love isn’t something that is easily broken, love is the strongest force, strongest feeling a person can have. Yes it can bend, be beaten down, but love always prevails. William Shakespeare writes about his own definition of love in his “Sonnet 116.” Shakespeare says, “Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove.” Shakespeare is saying that love isn’t so weak as to changes when circumstances change, or bends when the lover is unfaithful, it’s stronger than that. Love isn’t something that can be calculated, it’s immeasurable, and love always prevails. The venue for his love poem can be either in his theatre where most of his plays takes place or his own home. The tone is very firm in explaining the meaning of what true love is, something that isn’t weak and so easily broken. The rhetorical appeal is pathos because it shows how love is in its most ideal from. Love is strong and can survive any crisis. Love isn’t something that can be measured and isn’t understandable, but we all know what love is and that it’s there when we find that special someone. Shakespeare wants his audience to see that  love isn’t so timid to be swayed by the changes in two people, or because someone was unfaithful, love is always there and can survive anything thrown at it.

http://www.shakespeare-online.com/sonnets/116.html

Barrett  Browning, Elizabeth – How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count The Ways

There are countless ways that people love, show their love. We each have different ways of showing our love, and those ways are based on the intensity of how much you love that person. There are loves that are small and casual and their are those that are so intense that they can reach the stars. Elizebeth Barrett is one of those who has that intense love. Elizebeth says in her love poem “How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count The Ways”, “I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach.” Barrett wants to show how much she loves her significant other, the depth of that love which can transcend her soul. The venue for her love poem was probably her own home and she probably wrote it in remembrance of her late husband. The tone she uses in her poem is very intense which you can see by the amount of repetition she uses in her poem when she repeats “I love thee” six times followed by how much she loves her husband. The rhetorical appeal Barrett uses is pathos because her audience can feel how much she loves her husband, her extreme love for her husband. Barrett says, “If God chooses, I shall but love thee after death.” This shows that she loved her husband in life and now that he’s dead, she still loves him and will continue to do so when she too dies. Barrett wants her audience to see how much she loves her husband, her love is strong enough to transcend the love and she will continue to love him even after death.

https://www.poemofquotes.com/elizabethbarrettbrowning/howdoilovethee.php

Tagore, Rabindranath – Unending Love

Love is the strongest force in the universe and conquers all. Some believe that love can easily be broken, weak. Others believe that love is unending and beautiful. One who believes love is unending is Tagore, Rabindranath, where in his poem “Unending Love” he says “I seem to have loved you in numberless forms, numberless times… in Life after life, in age after age, forever.” Tagore is telling his beloved that he loves her in many ways and his love for her won’t wither and die away. No his love for his beloved will last forever, he has loved her in his previous life and will do so in his next and many more. The venue he Tagore wrote unending love is probably in his own home to his beloved, probably in the place where he has the most memories of her and their love. The tone of Tagore uses is intense, you can feel it when you read how he loved his beloved so much he believes that she’s his soul mate, his love in the previous life and the next. The rhetorical appeal Tagore uses is pathos as he conveys how much he loves his significant other, “We have played alongside millions of lovers , shared in the same shy sweetness of meeting, the same distressful tears of farewell – Old love but in shapes that renew and renew forever.” Tagore wants his audience which is his beloved to see that they have loved the same love as millions of people, shared the same type of experiences of love, and will keep loving her forever.

https://allpoetry.com/Unending-Love

Dickinson, Emily – That I Did Always Love

Have you ever loved someone? Have you ever been loved? Do you know the feeling of love and know how it affects a person? Some people have one love, some have many. Of all the poems I’ve read Emily Dickinson has the most intense poem I’ve read so far. According to Dickinson’s poem “That I Did Always Love”, “That I did always love, I bring thee proof that till I loved, I never lived – Enough.” Dickinson wants her significant other to see that she has always loved and is writing this poem to show that before she loved she has never truly lived. The venue was probably in her own home where she wrote to her beloved that  her experience with love is what brought meaning to her life. The tone she uses is intense as you can see when she says “that till I loved, I never lived – Enough.” This shows that she loved her beloved so much that her love for him brought her to life. The rhetorical appeal Dickinson uses is pathos, which the audience can see when Dickinson says “That love is life — and life hath immortality.” Dickinson is saying that love is life and is forever, it doesn’t die. Dickinson wants her audience which is her significant other to see how much she loves him, he makes her alive and their love is forever.

https://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/emily-dickinson/that-i-did-always-love/

Chaucer, Geoffrey – Rondel Of Merciless Beauty

Love is a strong and beautiful thing, some love lasts forever, but not all love is eternal. Sometimes when you love someone, you might love them with all your heart, but your significant other might have one foot in, one foot out, then that person leaves and breaks your heart. This is the case for Geoffrey Chaucer, however, his heart doesn’t break, he writes his beloved a poem to show how much he loves her beauty. In his poem “Rondel Of Merciless Beauty”, he says “Your two great eyes will slay me suddenly; their beauty shakes me who was once serene; straight through my heart the wound is quick and keen.” Chaucer wants his significant other to know that he loved the way her beautiful eyes once looked at him, so calm and peaceful. The venue is probably in his own home where he wrote this poem after his beloved left him. The tone is casual as he explains her merciless beauty. The rhetorical appeal Chaucer uses is pathos as you can see when he says “Only your word will heal the injury to my heart, while yet the wound is clean.” Chaucer is hurt that she left him and only she can heal him and make him feel better if she talks to him and takes him back. Chaucer wants his audience which is his significant other to see that she is the beauty is his life and it hurt him when she left, that he wants her to come back to him and heal the wound she left in his heart.

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/rondel-of-merciless-beauty/