Ethical Reasoning Part 2

2) Upon reading a few of the linked reading, I realize how important it is to copyright your own works because it seems like many people don’t know their rights to their works or others would just take advantage. AIGA’s Use of Illustrations states, “Original artwork cannot be changed without the creator’s approval. Changes to an illustrator’s work must be made by the illustrator, unless permission is secured from the illustrator first. It constitutes creating a derivative work from copyrighted material, which, intentionally or not, violates federal law and places the buyer at risk.” From these few lines, I can just imagine how often people would change other’s original work to put it into their type of style or whatnot, possibly even taking credit for the whole thing. It’s tough to trust anyone especially if your work is out there. licensed or not. Another point that stood out was when the reading comments. “Each illustrator brings a different perspective, vision and idea to play that, when married with great design, becomes an original art form. Illustration brings spontaneity, freshness and a unique point of view to the design of content. It helps to communicate both simple and complex messages while enhancing a design through the unique vision and skill of the selected illustrator.” Reading those lines made me realize and connect that thought to how often I would compare my works to others’ works, always thinking that mine isn’t good enough because of how different it would look. I have to remind myself that each illustrator is different and have their own unique way of going about things, with different skills to approach a concept. Just because their stuff is different doesn’t always mean it’s worth feel bad about your own.

a) In the past, I have definitely used someone else’ creative work but didn’t actually give the original owner/artist credit. One example is that I usually go on Pinterest and Instagram to check on things I enjoy looking at or updates in other people’s lives. The more specific types of posts I check on, the more my feed would evolve to fit to my taste. As a result, I end up seeing many talented works of people like art or photography and oftentimes, I would screenshot to save the artwork in my memories or to use them as wallpapers. Even on Pinterest, I would save the things that stand out and also screenshot potential things I have interest in. As much as the fact that I haven’t credited the rightful owners, I think in a lot of occasions, it would not be easy at all to find the original artists unless you get lucky or get into deep research. Looking forward, I would try to cite the works I use if need be so that it will rightfully be credited to the right person.

2b) After reading Shepard Fairey is Fined and Sentenced to Probation in ‘Hope’ Poster Case, I feel like it’s not really a surprise situation because these kinds of happenings probably happen more than we know it, it might just be that those people don’t appear to the eye as much as Shepard Fairey’s work would. The article stated that, “Mr. Fairey sued The Associated Press in 2009 after it contended that he had infringed on the copyright of one of its photographs in creating the poster. In his suit Mr. Fairey claimed he had used a different photograph, but later admitted that he had been mistaken and had tried to cover up his mistake. At the time he pleaded guilty he said he was “ashamed” of his actions.” This section had me feeling and questioning “why lie?” Why go through the trouble to basically blame others for your own mistakes? I think the general idea I picked up from the article is that it’s best to credit the original artist of whatever you end up using, especially if it will be seen by the public. Make it known that it’s not your work. Although, “Mr. Fairey maintained that he had never personally profited from sales of the image, a contention The A.P. disputed”. With this comment, I personally think that he shouldn’t still have use someone else’ photography and also even lied about it.

________