Research papers

This assignment discussed the growing prevalence of electronic cigarettes and the negative affect it has on the oral mucosa. It is important to be aware of because as hygienist we are educators and it is our responsibility to relay this information to them so that they can make informed decisions when using these products.

This article analysis paper focused on oral contraceptives’ and how it contributes to increased inflammation in the mouth. Many females use contraceptives and it is good to know that this is also a factor we have to consider when assessing our patients gingival health.

This research paper brought awareness to Pierre Robin Syndrome, a rare disease that affects infants and may be encountered by hygienist in a hospital setting. Being knowledgeable about this condition will allow me to be a better clinician and provide care that is appropriate and conformed to my patients needs.

This essay discussed the dilemma of patients refusing dental radiographs and how to deal with these patients in private practice. It is something I will always refer to because not everyone may want to have x-rays taken but it is a valuable tool for us because it allows us to see what the naked eye cannot. Without radiographs we are not able to properly diagnose our patients and we have to be able to manage these concerns effectively when our patients express uncertainty.

This writing assignment taught me how to personalize oral hygiene instructions for my patients. Every patient is unique and presents with their own set of needs and concerns. Therefore every product or technique we recommend will have to cater to each patient. We cannot treat all patients the same and this assignment gave me the insight to be able make the proper recommendations successfully.