Design Reviews, #6

This week was full design reviews with the team. The two main items we critiqued were the new logo for the rebrand and the outrage graphics post for social media.

With the outrage graphics post the original one felt too bland. The Instagram carousel for the outrage post used a black to white gradient in the background with red and yellow text, graphs, and imagery. I pitched that instead of the black to white gradient in the background of the graphs that showcased the food statistics for food insecurities I recommended an orange gradient instead. This way we use strong eye-catching colors and have a clear color palette of analogous colors.

Analogous Colors Examples and Schemes
Alt Text: Analogous Colors Examples and Schemes
Image Source: https://www.colorpsychology.org/analogous-colors/

When it came to the headline of this graphic we were struggling. The headline was “Did You Know?” but this headline didn’t feel strong enough for a post that is meant to show and give a sense of outrage towards the statistics present in the graph. The team is working on looking for synonyms and other ways to reword the headline of the graphic to match the imagery and put emphasis on the anger.

When it comes to the logo it is back to the drawing board because there were many opposing opinions on the design. The design is very cute and simple in my opinion and relays the message of community which is the big theme of this organization I feel. One intern brought up that they feel the design has too much detail that won’t show well when resizing the logo. They suggest that some of the detail get removed but personally I feel that if we remove the detail the representation the logo has right now of community won’t be as clear as it is currently.

During these design reviews it is interesting to see who has a background in design and who doesn’t. Some of the feedback given would be just simple comments of “it is cute” or “I like it”. However, this kind of feedback is not constructive or helpful. Yet there is still a small few who give actual feedback explaining why they feel something doesn’t work and should be changed.