As an educator, creative director, art director or designer I have always had a keen interest in integrating education and multidisciplinary design studies into varied working environments. By combining disciplines such as design and interpersonal skills I strive to help students develop into multifaceted designers.
In a classroom or studio the emphasis is on the professional rigors of design thinking and the realities of creative design combined with client expectations. The ultimate goal is to impart a practical and professional way for students to think and communicate creatively.
The challenge with each student is to not only pass on the skills and knowledge that are part of my design practice but to also impart a passion for great design. I wish to instill an awareness of the responsibilities that designing for a client entails, focusing on the working design methods in an on-the-job environment.
I place emphasis on students abilities to market and effectively present themselves to prospective clients and competition.
“How to present a new idea is, perhaps, one of the designer’s most difficult tasks, everything a designer does involves presentation of some kind–not only how to explain (present) a particular design to an interested listener (client, reader, spectator), but how the design may explain itself in the marketplace…” – Paul Rand

Defining and developing a creative process research, ideation, mind mapping, loose exploratory concept and layout experimentation.
Analysis on concept behind a solution and teach students how to generate strong ideas though research and analysis. This focus on the relevancy of research is key in developing effective visual communication; targeting the right audience and recognizing client and consumer trends and behaviors.
Encouragement of open discussions and critiques to strengthen students’ confidence in themselves and in a working environment. Projects are presented in client/designer critique scenarios, where students explain and defend their choices; the class then reacts and gives feedback. My guidance here also includes the use of visual vocabulary to express concepts and design. This sharpens student presentation, observation and design skills.
Students are encouraged to become involved in the local design and business community.
Developments in the design field are addressed. I highlight designing on a global scale with learning to understand and respect different cultures.
Ideally, the main objective is to prepare students for successful employment by addressing issues such as personal brand and portfolio development, internships and gaining work experience.
Presentation and discussion on the historical aspects of graphic and communication design. Instilling the knowledge of past designers, design trends and principles enabling students to learn the language of design and apply it to their work.
Incorporation of library and university resources such as rare book collections, development of library research guides and multiple sessions with librarians on a wide range of library services to enhance student work process.
“A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.” – Marcus Garvey