About Me

Hello. Welcome to my E-portfolio site; my name is Janelle Elizabeth Ancrum. I was born and raised in Manhattan, New York. I went to Manhattan Center for Math and Science high school. I am currently attending New York City College of Technology (http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/students/index.shtml) to pursue my bachelors in graphic communications. My interest in Graphic communications began when I was a freshman in high school. During that time I was very into watching anime/cartoons and reading comics and Japanese illustrated books called manga. I loved the detailed illustrations and how with a few words the author could tell a captivating story. The first manga and anime I ever saw was the “Dragon ball series” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball) written and illustrated by a Japanese artist name Akira Toriyama. After being exposed to Japanese anime and manga I became infatuated with becoming an artist of my own. I taught myself how to draw and sketch by drawing cartoon characters and observing the drawing style of different manga’s.

The high school I went to did not have or teach Adobe software such as Photoshop, InDesign and illustrator at the time. I didn’t really know any thing about graphic design programs coming into college. The one thing I did learn from high school in my art and design class was how to make buildings using a T-square and a ruler, which taught me how to pay close attention to details. I learned how to sketch different objects in front of me, which taught me about different structures and details. In my first year of college I gradually began to learn about the different software needed in the Graphic Design business. I learned how to fix photos in Photoshop, make logos in illustrator and make posters using InDesign. I plan on learning as much as I can about graphic design so that I will be able to choose a particular field in the graphic arts .I want a profession that will make going to work more of a fun learning experience than a chore.