1: Just The Beginning

Being an intern is one of the most exciting things to do this summer. While my search for an internship was challenging it was also beneficial since I learned so much about applying and finding jobs in this industry.  My internship professor  has helped me in my search for internships this summer. She asked me what programs I know how to use and what my interests were. She sent me many employers to which I had sent emails out to for interviews. From working with my internship professor  I learned about the importance of following up with an employer after applying to a job. This is something that I will carry with me after this course. She had also provided me with feedback on my portfolio and given me good resources to learn new additional skills such as the New York Times and the New York Public Library. After many emails I finally got an internship a non for profit organization. However, after a week I did not start any projects and as the course was already in progress I found myself in the position of looking for a new internship so I can get my 120 hours. My internship professor had sent me a supervisors email from an educational institution. We had an interview and then from there I was hired. I was very excited because I was going to start working on projects very soon. 

There is an article on Brooklneaglel.com that discusses how this educational institution is named the most ethnically diverse campus. This article intrigued me because student diversity has always been a major topic in many colleges. Here in New York we are not only one of the most diverse cities in the world but you can see this diversity in many of the CUNY schools compared to the other private schools in the city. This educational institutions diverse campus is due to its Immigrant Student Success Office which helps immigrant students since they face more challenges than regular students. It gives an opportunity for foreign students to have an affordable education and having the resources and a community for them. This is what makes them the most diverse of the CUNY schools. Coming from an immigrant family myself I can relate to how helpful this office would be since I am the first in my family to go to college. I couldn’t afford to go to many of the private art schools in New York and City Tech was a way for me to get an affordable education in design. 

https://brooklyneagle.com/articles/2020/09/18/brooklyn-college-named-most-ethnically-diverse-campus/

Photo credit:

https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-sitting-in-front-of-the-laptop-computer-7102/