A Little About Me…

Hello! My name is Irma Lomashvili. I grew up in Tbilisi, Georgia. Even as a young girl, I knew I wanted to help people and wished to be in the medical field. I was an A student in high school, scored high on our placement tests, attended Tbilisi Medical University for four years, completed one year of dental residency, received a State Certificate of Therapeutic Stomatology, and began my career as a dentist. I built a profitable practice, with a steady income and enough time to be a wife to my husband Kakha and a mother to my daughters Elene and Lizi.   

Although we were doing well, we decided to immigrate to America for a better education for our children and more opportunities for our family. In 2013, my husband left his business and I left a profession I loved to move to America.

The last seven years have been very challenging. I unfortunately lost my job and my profession. I realized that if I wanted to do what I love and to work as a dentist, I had to rebuild my career. I realized it would take many years to receive a dental license in America and study in English, but my personal standards of success and the need for achievement did not let me forget about my career. I wanted to be a good example to my children and show them that in America, wishes do in fact come true, and it is never too late to start over and be successful.

As a result, I decided to get my profession back as soon as I could. I chose to become a dental hygienist, which would only take two years. To achieve this, I went to Essex County College, where I finished general science courses with a 3.97 GPA.

Now, I am forty-two years old, and I am a senior student in the Dental Hygiene program at New York City College of Technology, graduating in June 2020. I believe the first step in rebuilding my career here in America was attending this program, which is the most complete and fastest way for me to return to the profession I love. I have given it the same focus and disciplined work ethic that allowed me to be a successful dentist in Georgia.

After years of hard work, knowledge, and practice, I am committed to give back to my new community in the U.S. and provide the best care possible for my patients.