School Projects

Dental Hygiene program at NYCCT actively participates  in community health projects. As a health related professional we all serve to our community. It is important to be involved in such projects to find out about community needs, to raise people;s awareness to oral health.  All the projects taught me a lot: to be compassionate to people in need, to help my community, improved my communications skills especially with pediatric patients.

Head Start Varnish Program

Fluoride varnish application is very effective way to prevent tooth decay. Varnish program gave the possibility to children from low-income families to be screened for any present tooth pathologies, to be given a referral to DDS if needed, and to receive caries prophylaxis treatment.

It is very important to teach children to make healthy food choices since the early age.

My colleagues applying fluoride varnish.

Projects like Head Start Varnish Program can help decrease the number of decayed, filled, missing teeth in children of low-income families.

Colgate Oral Health Care Educational Program for Children “Bright Smile – Bright Future”

Every year at Greater New York Dental Meeting Colgate company holds a project which goal is to provide dental screening and oral hygiene education to children from participating public schools from five boroughs of NYC.

My colleagues and I taught children how to brush the teeth correctly. We explained the children Fones (circular) tooth brushing technique. Other group of students screened the children for any tooth decays, and the third group was distracting children with songs and games.

My group at the tooth brushing station.

Projects like “Bright Smile – Bright Future” teach children the importance of oral hygiene, healthy diet, and regular dental check ups since the early age.

SADHA projects

Tooth brush sale

Senior’s pinning ceremony