While on our field trip we were sent to look for three real life examples of tint, shade and compliment tint. Here are the examples I found
The shade example was the hardest to find, since flowers tend to get lighter as it gets closer to the stem. Despite that, the example I found works really well and blends well between the two states.
The compliment shade was the most beautiful example. In it we were able to see how the two different colors begin to blend together and see the clear transition.
The tint example was the easiest to spot, since like I mentioned before, flowers tend to gt lighter as you go toward the stem. It goes from a muted purple to a white hue.
This project has been real interesting. It has taught me how to truly appreciate colors. Before we started, I thought that there was only one color, and I could rarely tell the difference between different levels of saturation. While painting the muted colors, I learned how even a little amount of white, or a little amount of a color’s compliment can drastically change the color’s hue. I feel that in this project that if I could have planned out the arrangement of the elements in the paintings, which would have helped the colors shine better. Planning would of also helped me ensure that I had enough of each color to paint everything I needed. All in all, I feel that this Swiss-style poster culminates the ideas and techniques we learned in this project.
Total Work Hours: 10-12 hours
Getting the pure colors was the easiest of the three painting sets. I personally feel that the narrow range is the best of the two paintings. Although the broad range is very well organized and compliment each other really well.
I wasted a lot of paint trying to get the mixtures right for this collage, but once I did it, I really love the way the colors complement each other. My broad range feels like the best of the two paintings
This was a relatively simple endeavor in which we used the paints for the first time. I had difficulty mixing the paints, but once I figured the ratios for the middle gray, it became much easier to mix them.
This was the easiest of the collages to make, since it was based off of my narrow range collage. We used Photoshop to recreate it the image digitally, and I was very pleased with the end result.
I had trouble on two parts of this project. The first difficulty I had was arranging the pieces of the cut-out pictures into a collage. It took several attempts, but in the end I was able to get a flow that works, and although I could improve the detail of the paintings, I feel that it was very successful. This digital collage helps us see how the value of each piece matters, since even the slightest change in color can have a great affect on how the colors shift and blend. Overall this project helped me to see the importance of a pieces value. Adding even the smallest amount of white to a piece can through the entire composition into disarray. This is why it is important to establish a hierarchy and a sense of motion so that the white can make sense in the black, or vice-a-verse.
Total Work Hours: 12-15 hours
I pick my broad collage to paint. This would allow me to have more fun with the paints. I feel this was the most successful, although I would like to add more detail to it in the future
After printing out 5 pages with our faces on them, we set out to work on making collages based off of them. Due to the quality of my collage, I used a low key template in my collages. This also made the Broad range collage very difficult to create
In this picture, the overall tones are low key. The shadows seem to try to overtake the light (seen at the top) and envelop the subject hidden in the darkness. The darker areas are clear because of this.
Due to the back being very bright, the mullions of the curtain wall stand out. This make the focus go to the the mullions (due to the stark and sudden contrast between the darker and lighter tones) against the more high key background. This also is just a great few out onto DUMBO, and Brooklyn Heights
Overall this was an interesting assignment. I had a lot of fun playing with Photoshop and Popcorn Maker in order to make an animated GIF and video. The beginning stages were the most difficult for me since I wasn’t sure on how to express Legato and Staccato in a visual manner. Although once I got a handle on the way to do I was able to carry through and finish it up. I feel I still need a little more practice with the programs, but overall this assignment was a great learning experience.