Wine Analysis

New York has a variety of different restaurants throughout the five boroughs. I’ve always been interested in visiting a restaurant and trying the “perfect” wine to pair with my meal, but have yet to have had that experience. Coming into City Tech’s Hospitality Program, I was interested in learning so many different things this field has to offer, especially the wines. With that being said I chose to base my wine analysis on one fine dining and one casual restaurant. The restaurants are called Gramercy Tavern and Blue Ribbon. 

Last semester I had the honor to visit and analyze the famous, Gramercy Tavern. It was filled with many options and the beverage list is filled with a variety of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks. Gramercy also offers a wine pairing with your 3-4 course meal. They offer it for around $79-$100 per person.  With that being said the wine list was huge! Going on their online site to get a recap of how it looked and it was beyond my expectations . The wine list is 34 pages long. They have a variety of different selections of wine in which, is very organized and categorized. In this wine list they also have the different wine prices and how much each specific ounce will cost. Different wines from red, white, sparkling , etc. They offer a variety of wines that come from places like Italy, France , California, to even the city of New York. When dining at Gramercy, I noticed that many people had different options to have their wines. Gramercy offers half bottles, full bottles, and wine glasses in different ounces. 

Although I have never been to Blue Ribbon I found it interesting with the variety of locations they have from New York City all the way to Los Angeles. The beverage/ wine list had the different wines and “spirits” list. This list was 4 pages long. They had it very organized and had the prices of each beverage. The wines differ from countries and states like France, Chile, Spain, and even Long Island, New York. I do like how specific and detailed the beverage list is. For example, they have listed a wine as “A & P De Villaine, “Les Clous AimÉ,” CôTE Chalonnaise 2015”, and Cote Chalonnaise is a subregion of the burgundy wine of France. 

As I analyzed both wine lists, The difference in the two restaurants was that one beverage list was 10x larger than the other. That is very understandable, due to one being a fine dining restaurant and would demand more than a casual restaurant. I noticed the difference in pricing as well. The similarities was the very detailed descriptions on the wine and the organization each restaurant had. When analyzing both these restaurants, I learned that a wine list can go beyond 35 pages. It is incredible how many wines we have around the whole world. I also learned that having the opportunity to compare both these restaurants and wine list, gives me a different perspective on how to look into more wine list for every restaurant I visit.

Reference:

https://media-cdn.getbento.com/accounts/06eddfdb5447c253b35abe48f22bfb2d/media/PRaScYJ0QiSmabBrfWDe_GT_WineList%203.11.20.pdf

1 thought on “Wine Analysis