My Journey to Upstate New York

securedownload (29)securedownload (28)securedownload (19)

Equipment’s that were used to make wine in the 1800ssecuredownload (26) securedownload (19)

At the start of the semester when I realized that the class had to go to a winery; I was not enthusiastic about the idea.  Am I happy now that it is a part of the class requirement? Yes I am. My journey took me to upstate New York (Monroe). There you find the beautiful and spacious Brotherhood Winery. The Brotherhood winery is the oldest winery in the United States of America. First opened in 1839 with about ten acres of land. However, in 1999 a devastating fire destroyed all the original buildings. The winery had since been rebuilt and is now set up-on about four acres of land, and is privately owned by Casar Baeza a wine master from Chile.

My journey from the Bronx to the winery took about three hours on the train then to a Short Line Tour bus. After reaching the winery the staff was friendly, professional, and very informative. They informed us that they offer five to six tours per day and that one was about to start in ten minutes. It was six dollars just for the tour and ten dollars for the tour and wine tasting session. As luck could have it we got the longest working employee on the property; Franklyn he seemed to know everything about the winery.

As Franklyn took us on our tour; stopping every so often to point out important facts. I realized that I knew what he was talking about why? Because I study wine with Professor Goodlad. The Brotherhood winery is one of four wineries in the New York Region. There is a small vineyard but it is not used to plant grapes for production. However, it is used to preserve important grape vines. Brotherhood winery get their grapes to make their wines from Lake Erie, Finger Lakes, Hudson, and Long Island AVA’s. The winery is known for producing great Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Merlot, and Riesling Dry. Brotherhood winery has a bottling plant that bottles wine from wineries all over

the United States. In 2013 they bottled over four million bottles of wine and are expected to bottle eight million bottles of wine in 2014. 2013 was a great year for the Brotherhood Winery, in a wine tasting competition with some of the best wine producing wineries across America. Brotherhood winery took home gold, silver and bronze medals. The Riesling dry took the gold, Pinot Noir and Merlot took silver, and the Cabernet Sauvignon took the bronze medals.

At the end of our tour we had a wine tasting session, we tasted one Sparkling Wine Carpe Diem, 2013, three Specialty Wines Sweet Lolly Red, May Wine, and Rosario and one Dessert Wine Ruby Port. Thanks to my journey to the winery I found out that I am a sparkling wine lover. The Carpe Diem tasted first-rate and it is now the wine for me. Color: gold, Nose: fruity and sweet, Taste: peach and apricot, coats the mouth faintly. Carpe Diem would pair well with grilled chicken breast and red and green peppers with a twist of lemon. It was a wonderful experience that I got to share with my friend Nykkeicha. On the ride home I realized that I  was no longer afraid of the taste of wine, and that is a wonderful thing. securedownload (24)

securedownload (30)