Grand Wine and Liquor

Photo Apr 08, 2 46 55 PM

The wine shop that i visited is one of store from the references from the Professor that called Grand Wine and Liquor. It is located in 30-05 31st St, Astoria, NY 11102. The store is in a very strategic place, where is right in the 30st station for N, Q train. When i went there, i actually took a cab because I want to get there faster, surprisingly, when I told the cab driver the address, he told me that he know that the address where i am going to is the Grand Wine and Liquor store. I asked him, how does he know, and he said that this store has been established for many years and he used to buy wine there.

As soon as i get there, from the outside, there is no way people cannot see the store even from one block away. This is not a small store. It maybe they combined two or three stores into this one big store. When i walked in, I see the cashier who is standing behind the desk, and i introduced myself that I am a student from City Tech, Brooklyn, she smiled and warmly allow me to see around and taking pictures as well. Photo Apr 08, 3 36 38 PM

To be honest, at the first time when i looked around, the moment of truth is confusing for me. I just know that they divided wines on the left hand side and for spirits on my left hand side.  However, after I go around, i noticed they used map to represent the sections of where are the wines come from.

Photo Apr 08, 3 09 15 PM

I start from the closest section when i walk into the store. There was no sign of which country where these rack of wines come from, but since we already studied wine from France, when i saw Medoc, St Emilion, Margaux labels on the rack, i know that all of these wines are from France.

This assignment is actually becomes my first experience to walk into a wine and liquor store. I don’t know how the other stores arranged their wines, but in this store that make me noticed, they are very specific on dividing wines from California. They have one rack special for California Merlot, California Pinot Noir, California Savignon Blanc, California Zinfendel that i believe can make the consumers find their favorite wine from California easier.

Photo Apr 08, 3 12 04 PM Photo Apr 08, 3 12 17 PM

As i keep browsing the stores, i found they have many wines from many countries. I saw Argentina, Austrian, German, Australian wines on the very right isle of the store. Before i visited this store, i didnt know that Yellow tail wine is a typical wine that come from Australia until i saw how a full of rack of Yellow Tail wine in the Australian section.

Photo Apr 08, 2 54 40 PM

In the middle of the isle, they put some expensive wines in the etalase. When i was staring and taking pictures of the wines, there was one lady who came to me and she explain why are these wines are put in there. Basically because it is special wines, expensive and not easy to find. surprisingly, she told me that these wines are not supposed to be stored like how they do in this store but the costumers might not know about it. She said that the temperature is not right and so on. I guess she is not working there but she is a regular customers and understand about wines.

Photo Apr 08, 2 52 10 PM

When i spent time in the store, i was not really talk with someone who is walking in the store, because they were seems busy with the costumers, but when it came i find a rack with so many types of wines from varieties countries, i asked one of the worker. He explained that they put many wines from many countries but they seperated by the types of grapes. So there are pinot noir from many countries, then savignon blanc from many countries, etc. The reason why they did this because they lack of spaces to arranges enormous numbers of wines from countries on each sections.

In addition to that, i asked why there are some bottles in the fridge besides the sparkling wines and Champagne instead they put in the rack. He said that some people wants to consume the wines right away, so they provide those wines, so it is ready to serve. Photo Apr 08, 3 36 47 PM

The price range in this store is between $5,99 is the cheapest as far as i see to $18 average, and there are more than $400 for the expensive wines.

Lastly, this store also offer wine tasting and they posted in the window outside the store and also inside the store. I think this is a very great way to introduce wine to more people especially a person like me as a student and who is not really interested in wine because i dont really understand the differences and taste before i am studying with Professor Goodlad. 100_6679

3 thoughts on “Grand Wine and Liquor

1. That must have been quite an experience for you being the first visit in a wine store.
    I think that is a great idea to increase sales by storing champagne chilled for ready consumption.
    Chilling also increases the shelf life of champagne and sparkling wines, hence they may use the same advantage to sell their champagne and sparkling wines near their expiry.

• The chilled bottles are for immediate use. I like this option that most stores offer and the wineries fight hard to get this placement, it is very valuable.

Storing the wines for long term use should be done at about 55degrees, so the fridge is a bit too cold for long term storage. Seek a dark, cool location with minimal vibrations and about 75% humidity.