Graph Analysis

Table Wine Volume Share By Color: From 1991 to 2009 based on this graph, we can see that the U.S market has a somewhat similar favor for red or white wines, with red wine taking the lead. Presently, there seems to be less of a demand for blush colored wines. I wonder what influence this change and what made it so popular in ’91. Also, does it have anything to do with preparing people or sparking more of an interest in the darker wines as one could notice, the percentage of people who favored blush colored wines significantly dropped after 95′ and into the 2000’s we see higher interest in the red wines. Symbiotically, the interest in white wines has decreased but still remains a bit more consistent than the other colors.

The Wine We Drink in 2011: This graph shows the specific types of wine popularity in terms of the market share by sales in 2011. This graph along with the following slide that presents the “Big Three” (Chardonnay [20% market share, 23% $ share], Merlot [11% market share, 12 $$ share], Cabernet Sauvignon[10.5% market share, 14% $$ share]) in 2007 notes that the wine drinkers in the US seek familiarity and follow certain trends. The influences determined are from movies, tv and fashion icons marketing their brand/unbranded wines.

One thought on “Graph Analysis

1. I agree with the trend in the graph showing the rise of interest in red wines over blush and white wine types. I too would like to know why red wine has such a significant lead in the type of wine people choose to drink. In my opinion I think its more a state of mind. For example some people may think its more sophisticated than the other two especially the blush which is the most recent of the three to be introduced. Reading statistics from the “wine we drink”, I am sort of surprised to See Merlot with such a low interest rate. I would think that this is one of the more popular of the red wine types.