Analysing Graphs

The two graphs I have picked for my analysis are the bar graph Total Table Wine Consumption for the years 2001 -2012 and the pie chart  All U.S. Adults in 2012, which illustrates the percentage of adults in the U.S. that partake in wine consumption. The first graph illustrates a steady increase in total table wine consumption in cases by the million. In 2001 total table wine consumption was 207 million cases and increases in 2002 by 13 million cases to 220 million which was the biggest increase for the years in question. The second significant increase during these years occurred in 2003 with an increase of 10 million cases of wine being consumed for that year. By the year 2012  U.S. consumption had increased to 295 million cases. This amounts to a total increase of 88 million cases of wine being consumed in 2012 when compared to 2001. In the second table it is reported from the Wine Market Council that in 2012, 25% of U.S. adults were high frequency wine drinkers, 19% were occasional drinkers, 34% did not drink wine or were abstainers and 22% drank alcohol but not wine. This breakdown is slightly different for 2014 according to  the Wine Market Council. It is now estimated that high frequency wine drinkers have been reduced to 15%, occasional drinkers have increased to 29%, abstainers have increased by a percentage to 35% and the amount of people who drink alcohol has declined by a percentage to 21%. So it appears that although high frequency drinkers have declined significantly, occasional drinkers have improved significantly and at least a wider variety of drinkers of wine is now present in the market. This is good news for wine producers all over the globe.

2 thoughts on “Analysing Graphs

1. Analyzing Graphs – Austrailia, New Zealand & South Africa
    By: Kristina Kovach

When I read through the power point, I noticed many things that I haven’t before about wines from these particular regions. The graph I chose to analyze is the Wine Production and Sales 1996-2011. I found this graph interesting because I wanted to keen in on why this was happening. Not that the why is a baad thing but simply what makes the flow of the chart the way it is. Here is what I gathered; the patterns that the chart conveys have a lot to do with the evolving consumer demands, our new technologies and also climate change which is the biggest factor. This isn’t to say it neither bad or good but it does have a hold on wine production and sales.

2. Analyzing Graphs II – Champagne & Sparkling Wine
    By: Kristina Kovach

I chose this power point to create an analysis about the different ways champagne gets rated. The graph was more like a pyramid of highest to lowest rated champagnes. I found this readable and engaging for one reason. I don’t know anything about champagne and I am am excited to familiarize myself with the differences and qualities that it has. The graph I read basically gave me an understanding of the highs percetange value rated by the villages from where these champagnes derive from. For instance the highest level is at the top which is known as Grand Cru at 100%, the next is Premiere Cru at 90-99% and lastly is Cru at 80-89%. I found this information through some research at; http://www.scottpaul.com/tasting-room/scott-paul-champagne-club/champagne-vocabulary-and-classifications. I am excited to learn more about champagnes and understand the process in which is takes to become a Grand Cru versus a Cru.